Proud new owner

I just picked up my new '01 DRZ400S and rode it back home in the rain. Very happy with it even with only 6 miles riding time. It has been many years since I have owned a bike and I'm looking forward to some trail riding. I'm interested in some of the mods I've read about here, but not yet. I'll get used to it and see how I do off road when I get the chance. I come from a mountain biking back ground and look forward to twisting a throttle again. Does anyone know of any trails in Louisiana? I hope to get to ride with some of y'all one day.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya. Always good to have a machinest in the group. Are you planning on making any custom trick items for you new pride and joy? :)

Welcome. Sounds just like myself a couple of months ago. It had been 20 years since I last owned a dirt bike, the closest I had been was mountain biking . Man was that a great feeling when I first rode the DRZ! You will love this bike.

One word of warning though, my first venture into the woods resulted in a broken signal light , dented ignition cover ,(luckily no hole) and bust clutch lever! All below 10mph!! So file off that sharp casting ridge on the inside of the shift lever, tuck your turn signals in (remove spacers etc) replace the stock tyres and get some hand guards before you venture too far off road.

Welcome, and I agree with candrzs, especially the hand guards. Like someone else said on here, and I can't think who right now, until the DRZ gets used to you, it likes to fall over. Maybe part of that was because of me being away from riding for 20 years myself. :)

Congrats on your new bike :)

I too had been away from bikes for awhile and i made my return some years ago with the old faithfull (Kdx200) before getting my thumper.

I hope you enjoy your 400s as much as i enjoyed mine this year, i just love this motor.

Be carefull of the trailwings off road they are more a road tyre.

EZGZ, I don't know what is out there to copy or what I would need to make right now. I am thinking of making a skid plate if I can find the right thickness aluminum.

Hand guards are tops on my list, as is tucking away the turn signals. All I've done so far is just remove the rubber pads on the foot pegs.

How much power increase have y'all noticed by doing the snorkle removing/rejetting mod?

Skid plate and hand guards are a great idea to start with.

The dealer had changed my main jet and removed the snorkel before I even heard it run. Grand Junction is at about 5,000ft and I am surrounded be mountains. 45 minutes away by road is the Grand Mesa which is at 10,000ft. Everyone on this fourm talks about increasing the main jet so I went back and asked the dealer. The mechanic said he used a 138 main for this area.Stock for my bike is 142 It hasn't missed a beat since. It does seem to be a little cold blooded some mornings. Listen to the guys with the 400S mine is the 400 E with a little bigger carb. I origanaly wanted the E but the salesman talked me into the S. Since most of my riding is off road. He said it would be easier and cheaper to get the E licensed than to convert the S. That electric start is what put me over the edge. All these new bikes are tall compared to the old days but they sure do ride nice. You know when your getting old when your dirt bike has electric start, a kickstand and a stock muffler... :):D It will be a while before I need more power. There is sure a lot of talk on this forum about adding power but it seems like thats when the trouble starts. They can't get the jetting right and it stumbles or runs to lean or one thing or another. I prefer to spend my free time riding instead of wrenching at this point. If I were you I would just change the oil and filter and ride it. Read this forum and some of the others and smile a lot you just got the best bike that was ever made. Your options are only limited by your bank account. If you want more power just go one tooth down on the front sproket.

I plan on the hand guards first.

EZGZ, I spent a week in Fruita riding the MTB trails with my nephew. We had a blast. Are the motorcycle trails there just as good and plentiful as the MTB trails? I want to go back next summer with my 400s and my MTB, twice the fun.

Originally posted by Joemtb:

EZGZ, I don't know what is out there to copy or what I would need to make right now. I am thinking of making a skid plate if I can find the right thickness aluminum.

Here is one i designed and had made in a hurry i was going trailriding that weekend and had not time to order one, it is minus a piece in front of waterpump but it worked ok, it uses the existing bolt holes.

skidplate.jpg

Quote "How much power increase have y'all noticed by doing the snorkle removing/rejetting mod?"

Joemtb, With those mods and the end cap mod, there is a very noticable power increase, like the front wheel lofting up with ease when hitting second gear. :) As far as actual HP's, I can't say, but trust me you will notice it! :D The two other ad ons that I would consider a must if you like tight trails are:

1. Tuck in the signals, I smashed the front left blinker completely from clipping a tree. I put on the regular ole behive marker lights on the front that I got from an Auto supply store. They are cheap and come with mounting brackets. I just took out the spacers in the back and haven't had a problem yet, and believe me, they have been tested pretty good.

2. If you ride rocky trails, get a skid plate. Don't be like me and put a dent in the frame underneath first or worst, bust that very vunerable water pump elbow.

Also watch those shrouds in the tight stuff. I caught a tree with the left one and bent the rad. I have since put on the Cycra shrouds that don't stick out near as much!

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: DR-ZEZ ]

dendrz, what thickness aluminum was used for your skid plate? Your plate looks good. Would you cover more stuff if you could do it over? Is there a common thickness used for all the after market plates? I'm so new to this new type of bike, I feel a bit embarrassed. I still have to learn what everything is on the bike. Are those DOT knobbies on your bike? I'd like to get some good DOT off road rubber before trying some offroad riding.

I'm getting some good owners manual reading time, feels like I am coming down with the flu.

Originally posted by Joemtb:

dendrz, what thickness aluminum was used for your skid plate? Your plate looks good. Would you cover more stuff if you could do it over? Is there a common thickness used for all the after market plates? I'm so new to this new type of bike, I feel a bit embarrassed. I still have to learn what everything is on the bike. Are those DOT knobbies on your bike? I'd like to get some good DOT off road rubber before trying some offroad riding.

I'm getting some good owners manual reading time, feels like I am coming down with the flu.

Plate is under 3mm thk (measures 3/32") same as stock plate on bike.

See new post called Homemade Skid plate, thought i would start a new one for the feed back.

The knobbies are Perelli MT21 dots, great tires imo but pricey i might try Kenda's next year as they are a lot cheaper.