newbie questions about 2002 yz426

I had planned on getting an '06 450 but the fact a really need a green sticker bike is forcing me to look at the '02s. Currently I have a CR250 and I have always had 2 strokes so please forgive my ignorance..I am trying to change my ways.

If I bought a '02 I would probably want to replace piston, rings, and bearings. I am assuming these parts cost about the same as a 2-stroke? If I by a bike and the tranny goes out(I have read a number of post about 426 issues about loosing gears) what type of repair bill would I be looking at? Also what are the maintenance costs on the valve train and is there anything I should have replace while I am doing the piston and rings?

Last question: Will the exhaust actually burn through my riding pants if they are "over the boot" pants? A friend of mine has the Yamaha 450 quad and said the thermal header wrap doesn't work and he can't wear over the boot style pants.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate any positive responses.

Im not sure if pistons, rings, and bearings are the same price. I would imange they are, or close to. About $450 for valves, but just to get them checked my shop charges $60, I learned how to do them myself though, if there out of spec you just might have to buy some shims. To check your own you will need a feeler gauge.

You will be looking at a pretty big bill for all of that work done to your engine. Im sure the tranny isnt cheap to replace, you will also be paying a assload in labor costs.

Im sure the header will burn your pants because 4-strokes get HOT you can just feel the heat coming off the header if your standing within a couple feet of it.

There are other guys that can help you on here too, Im just taking a guess on which it would cost. I never replaced my valves, but I know someone said they did and it cost close to $400-$500.

-Mike

Find a low hour, well-maintained '01/'02 YZ 426 and you shouldn't have to even worry about rebuilding/replacing top-end (or bottom end) for awhile. The 426 is a great bike. Next to a Honda XR, the YZ 426 is the most reliable, bulletproof 4-stroke available, IMO. I've owned two, and have been perfectly happy with both. Valves have never been outta spec, start 1-2 kicks hot or cold, great power, and just plain bulletproof. The key is regular maintenance (oil change, air filter, etc), as with any 4-stroke, and the 426 will give you hours and hours of enjoyment. Good luck.

I have lost a pair of pants already to the pipe. Not even sure how I did it, but they melted up pretty good.

BUT, I love my bike. It's still in great shape and I can go as fast as I can take it. The power is always there. Now, if I could only grow a pair and get my skirt out of the way, I might actually be able to keep up with the pack.

The 426 is a great buy. Find one with low hours and have a blast. I bought mine used and I doubt that it had ever been ridden.

Here's a picture:

http://myspace-302.vo.llnwd.net/00375/20/36/375236302_m.jpg

http://myspace-984.vo.llnwd.net/00375/48/95/375245984_m.jpg

If I bought a '02 I would probably want to replace piston, rings, and bearings.

Actually its more likely that you wouldn't need to replace anything four strokes are incredibly reliable
I am assuming these parts cost about the same as a 2-stroke?
Sadly a they are a LOT more for most parts
If I by a bike and the tranny goes out(I have read a number of post about 426 issues about loosing gears)
That is also highly unlikely
what type of repair bill would I be looking at?
well depends but probably big
Also what are the maintenance costs on the valve train
ZERO if you do it yourself (Well you'll need toi buy shims but they are cheap)
Last question: Will the exhaust actually burn through my riding pants if they are "over the boot" pants?
I have shift recon over the boof pants and they don't get burnt but last meek they got caught on the shifter and ripped a quarter sized hole in them

Thanks for the responses. I have my mind made up on the yamaha since I know they are reliable (and my first bike was a YZ80). I am just trying to think worst case. It's easy to buy a bike that looks clean and the owner tells you everything is low hours and perfect, then you find out after riding it a couple of times that you bought someone else's headache.

As mentioned above, the 426 is a great bike. Bullet-proof. I own an '02 426 and the only maintanence I have had done was a valve adj. Pay a service shop to run through the bike before you buy it, if you get one with lower hours, and properly maintained, you won't need to mess with any of the things you listed. I ride with a large group of 426 owners, and we RARELY have any issues with these bikes! Good luck!

Yes, parts cost a lot more, but you are rebuilding your engine a lot less.

I ride my 426 w/ aftermarket header in a pair of carhart jeans and have never had a problem w/ getting burned or a whole in the pants.

I own a 2001 YZ426 and Just went riding yesterday with a buddy who owns an 06 KTM MXC. My bike was faster than his! We drag raced and I killed him. I love my bike and for $3000 I paid for it, it is the best! Go for the 426, besides the weight of the bike, there is no drawbacks. It will run forever and is truly bulletproof as long as you do maintenance. Might I suggest the exhaust cam change as well?

As far as what to look for in a used bike, just PM me or do a search on this thread and you will get a lot of information on what to look for. :crazy: