DRZ 400 Initial Valve Adjustement

most valve wear will occur during the break in period,when the valve,guides and seats are 'wearing in' to each other.for that reason,i,personally,would check them during the first oil change.when valves wear,they become tight(the clearance between the bucket and cam lobe).when they get tight,it can cause them to hang open slightly,causing a reduction in compression,which will result in poor low speed performance and idle with difficulty starting.if left long enough,they will eventually burn,requiring replacement.it is cheap insurance to check them periodically,as it is easier to check a valve than to replace it.

Q , how the hell are ya. I know it's apples to oranges but us KTM owners are adjusting our valves anywhere from 200 to 500 mi. I would go with the sooner than later thought. Come visit me on the KTM sight. Hope we can ride together soon. Dan

Its on the DRZ title page under specifications. I waited to check my valves until my bike was a full year old (est 80-100 running hours) and the valves were all within spec. Both the right intake and exhaust valve were a little tighter than their left counterparts. All were within spec though. Very easy to do, I think it is listed on a previous thread on how to do it.

simon@vic;

i was lazy, so i had the shop do it. they said one was way loose. i did not ask if any were tight. it was loose enough to make noise. the next time i am going to check them my self. for the guys that want to know about adjusting them, you will need shims to do it(if they need to be adjusted). atleast on the E model.