Sign in to follow this  

DRZ436

To the person who sent the e-mail to me. I could not get back to you by the e-mail address given. To answer your question, the Suzuki DRZ off road team bikes for Kiedrowski, Smith and Hatch are not 436's they are 430. Yoshimura elected to not use the big bore kit instead keeps the stock bore and runs stroked cranks to get the 430.

I got an email from a guy at Yosh R&D a couple of weeks ago and he said next year Team Yosh/Suzuki will run Stroker 450 kits with the Yosh cam/ignition. There is a clutch trick they are using as well I read about in the Dec. issue of Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike I can't remember which.

Originally posted by weekendtoy98DR:

I get a Suzuki mag called "route sheet" that had the specs for Mike K's bike in it.It lists a 417cc motor.This is from last year though.

They have ran a 417 but have since gone to the 430. They already have a 450 they will run next season. This engine is over bored and stroked.

Davey Durelle won the Del Mar Mile flat track race in Oct. with a DRZ450 motor in the Pro Singles Mile class. He beat the 600 Rotax and Atk's on the mile. Also Nicky Hayden was there with a factory CRF450R Honda. He finished 5th but the bike looked pretty impressive as far as horsepower. He was having traction problems.

Originally posted by weekendtoy98DR:

Thanks for the update!Is the 430 a Yosh piston like the 417?

No, for the 430 stock bore is used with a higher compression piston. Compression I believe is around 12.5:1 to 13:1. The 430cc comes from the longer stroke not the bore.

DID ANYONE GET HORSE POWER AND TORQUE READINGS FOR ANY OF THESE KITS?

Originally posted by KEITH S.:

DID ANYONE GET HORSE POWER AND TORQUE READINGS FOR ANY OF THESE KITS?

Keith, These motors by Yoshimura are full race motors and have lots of titanium internal parts. They will put out HP in the mid 50's. Very expensive to build and maintain.

OK, so can a guy take his DRZ400 and turn it into a RELIABLE 450? ---for the same cost or less than a Thumper Racing 470 kit?($600 or so)

Originally posted by ColoradoDRZ:

OK, so can a guy take his DRZ400 and turn it into a RELIABLE 450? ---for the same cost or less than a Thumper Racing 470 kit?($600 or so)

You can convert your 400 into any size you want ,well to a point. You can get piston and sleeve kits for about any size you want up to 480 and that is a 97mm piston, I think. The 450 I think you are referring to is a stroked crank and oversize piston and it is expensive to build. A lot more than a piston and sleeve kit. As for reliability, any time you increase power output reliability decreases some. You just need to deside if it is worth the trade off. The one thing that I have found the DRZ400 not to like is clutch abuse. When you do go bigger I would recommend beefing up the clutch. One good thing about these big bore kits you don't use the clutch near as much.

Originally posted by DRZDUC:

You can convert your 400 into any size you want ,well to a point. You can get piston and sleeve kits for about any size you want up to 480 and that is a 97mm piston, I think. The 450 I think you are referring to is a stroked crank and oversize piston and it is expensive to build. A lot more than a piston and sleeve kit. As for reliability, any time you increase power output reliability decreases some. You just need to deside if it is worth the trade off. The one thing that I have found the DRZ400 not to like is clutch abuse. When you do go bigger I would recommend beefing up the clutch. One good thing about these big bore kits you don't use the clutch near as much.

I want to go bigger to increase torque/low end. I want Grunt w/ a capital "G". Overall though, I just want more low end without having to spend the big bucks on a KTM 520 or whatever. The slightly slower revving nature of the 470 is what initially attracted me to IT, but I don't think I need to go that big. Do ya think Thumper Racing would build someone a 450cc piston and sleeve? I don't use the clutch a whole lot, and if I increase torque without sacrificing the user-friendliness I'll use the clutch even less. That's one thing that Gary(Thumper Racing) told me- with the 470, put it in 3rd gear and that takes care of about 90% of all trail situations. Ohhhh that would be great! :)

thanks for that last post,ColoradoDRZ! you just helped me decide between the 436 and the 470!

oh,i forgot to ask.does anybody know how much a replacement cyl. is for the drz?02.wondering because my last bike was a kx 310,when i sold it i think it took me longer to sell because it was bored.thanx

Originally posted by rogdrzer:

hey,for anybody wondering i believe la sleeve makes a sleeve and piston kit that is 453 cc.one of the magazines tested it but cant remember which one.

I'd like to see that test. Makes me very curious. Can you recall what they said about it?

hey,for anybody wondering i believe la sleeve makes a sleeve and piston kit that is 453 cc.one of the magazines tested it but cant remember which one.