is it safe to run with no silencer packing?

yes i know stupid idea. im not looking for the answer of how stupid i am or how bad it sounds. im looking for the answer of if it is safe or not.

:crazy:

what will it cause?

i know i would loose some bottom end and gain some top end and dont fight me on that one. :ride:

can it cause any actual motor problums? not looking for what you think i just want to know if it is safe.

i heard that the rings wair out faster and that it may cause you to run lean.

so a lil info would be nice.

i been running a pocket bike no muffler for about 2yrs now and no problums so far so it seems safe to do but not sure.

its a question for a yz426

:ride:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ask a question then list what you don't want to hear? Weird.

First....wear is spelled WEAR...not wair. (you did not say you did not want anyone to correct your spelling so I do not want to hear you complain).

Second....why ? If you think you already know how the bike will perform, why ask this forum? If the bike runs rich or lean after you take the packing out....then rejet it. If louder feels faster to you (like knuckleheads who drive Honda Civics with "coffee can" tailpipes) then why do you care what anyone thinks.

BTW....how about some NOS for that 426?! :ride::crazy:

can it cause any actual motor problums?

Well I know on gopeds if you run the exaust to open it will score the piston. Same things go with harleys too. So I definetly wouldn't recomend it. You can just buy a new pipe thats been tested if you want to be louder and "cooler"

i heard that the rings wair out faster and that it may cause you to run lean.

Rings really have nothing to do with the fuel mixture. If anything it makes it feel richer because oil might get into the combustion chamber and make it smoke and sputter more

ask a question then list what you don't want to hear? Weird.

First....wear is spelled WEAR...not wair. (you did not say you did not want anyone to correct your spelling so I do not want to hear you complain).

Second....why ? If you think you already know how the bike will perform, why ask this forum? If the bike runs rich or lean after you take the packing out....then rejet it. If louder feels faster to you (like knuckleheads who drive Honda Civics with "coffee can" tailpipes) then why do you care what anyone thinks.

BTW....how about some NOS for that 426?! :ride::crazy:

i knew how it would perform. i wanted to know how it is on the motor.

Simply said...your engine needs backpressure to run properly...eventually your engine will burn out.

Are you so defensive because of what happened last time you tried to post in this section instead of asking your fellow ATV buddies?

The bike was designed to run with a muffler. It will run worse without a proper muffler. Simple as that. Dont waste your time rejetting.

well actuly the only pipes with back pressure is disk type and stock pipes. other than that they all have streight cores. i went from a white bros shorty pipe to a stock muffler with it all choiped and gutted. the stock moded pipe that was good as running no muffler because it flowed so much. but the thing is it didnt even need to be rejetted because i did plug chops and checked and it was nice and tan. not white or black. tan. so i went from a shorty wit h packing t obasicly no muffler and it was still jetted right

well actuly the only pipes with back pressure is disk type and stock pipes. other than that they all have streight cores. i went from a white bros shorty pipe to a stock muffler with it all choiped and gutted. the stock moded pipe that was good as running no muffler because it flowed so much. but the thing is it didnt even need to be rejetted because i did plug chops and checked and it was nice and tan. not white or black. tan. so i went from a shorty wit h packing t obasicly no muffler and it was still jetted right

Have another beer :crazy:

I think the muffler would crack because the is no packing in there to control the heat so the heat would go to the muffler and mess it up.

axculy the muffler runs cooler. the more flow the cooler the pipe will be sinse the gases are excaping so fast. if you feal a stock muffler after you been driving it is so hot you cant touch it. my choped stocker stayed cool

Yeah dude, taking off the muffler helps and while your at it take off your air filter so that you can get more flow. And since you have more flow the dust that gets sucked into your engine will flow out a lot faster and it wont cause any damage. Also since you have all the flow you will need more gas. Since they dont make jets big enough for the huge amount of flow you have you will have to remove all the jets, take out the pilot screw, and take out the needle so that you can open up the throttle as much as is required for all that flow. The good thing about doing all of this is that now your exhaust pipe will be cool to the touch even when your running it! You will also get 45mpg too!

sut the **** up. omg who cares about spelling. i bet you all are just over weight mad people mad cause you cant get girls

Way to make assumptions...I bet that will win you a lot of points. Actually (not axculy) I am underweight for my height and have been happily married for two years now. Thanks for asking. :crazy: And, oh yes, since (not sinse) you asked...I know plenty of people that care about spelling...they make up a little thing we call the professional world!? How do you feel (not feal) about that?

If you know so much as to say we are all wrong with any of the answers we give you, you are obviously some master mechanic that has experience far beyond what we can offer you. I am sorry that our naive little minds cannot comprehend your skill level.

Tell you what, I have the number to a fellow, his name is Tim, he is the head of MMI. Give him a call and tell him you are ready to start teaching because you know more than Yamaha, Honda, Kawi, or Suzuki themselves will ever know. (I heard their engineers aren't really that smart anyway).

While your at it, come up with your own product line of bikes that come w/ a chopped (not choped) muffler. That'll be a big hit! :ride: You are a real winner! :ride:

dang cheesehead been reading too many magazines

Actually, I wish he would read. But they probably don't spell right in those magazines because I heard (from one of the Dirt Rider editors I might add) that they don't ever spell check. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: