Sign in to follow this  

The sound of a well tuned XL 250...

Ok, this is going to sound weird but does anyone have a sound clip, or know the location of, a xl 250 idling. Even better would be idling and than reving up?

Im out today trying to tune my bike and it occurs to me I've no idea how it's supposed to sound when properly set up. I know a tach would make it easier, but believe me im lookingLOL

I swear mine's idling too fast. When i ride it I have to ride the break occasionally. Than again this is the first bike i've ridden so i could just be going faster than I'm comfortable...

Any help would be amazing... :crazy:

M

Ride over to my house and I'll check out the idle for ya...I'm in chandler,nr Dobson/Warner....480-332-3668.......Tom

they do seem to idle high but thats the way they are. i have the idle on my 350 set at almost 2000. i think they are supposed to idle at 1500, but mine has this stupid cough at low idle when cold. I've been meaning to get a sound clip of my 350 with the glass pack, but i dont know that that would help much...

I've owned XL250's and they have needed to idle at around 1600 - 1800rpm to be smooth and should rev out nicely from idle. I don't have a sound track because the last good one was back in 1980.

They'll never sound like a big bore thumper which can be more like a Bulldog tractor!

Having trouble with my current XL because it doesn't idle smoothly and splutters when given full throttle from idle. It idles best at about 1800.

You should'nt need to ride the brakes - back the idle speed off and experiment. They're generally quite tractable.

Hope this helps

XLLes