Ready to buy: '02 DRZ400S vs. KTM Supermoto

I will be doing 95% street canyon-carving riding. Should I get the KTM LC4 Supermoto or the DRZ400S and maybe Supermoto it later?

How is the stock DRZ-S for the paved twisties? Are there super street-grippy tires for pure sport road use in stock DRZ-S size?

Thanks much. :)

The stock S is pretty good at carving twisties, it's light and nimble. The stock Trail Wings (2001 model) have pretty good grip on the tarmac, but are not the greatest off road. :) The steering angle is pretty steep so it's easy to cut into a corner. My guess would be that yhe KTM LC4 Supermoto would probably provide a better handling ride with the street tires, and have a little more power, but probably cost a few grand more. But I can't tell you from experience, as I have never riddin one. Bottom line is the S is a fun all around bike. :D

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: DR-ZEZ ]

Originally posted by Chainlash:

I will be doing 95% street canyon-carving riding. Should I get the KTM LC4 Supermoto or the DRZ400S and maybe Supermoto it later?

How is the stock DRZ-S for the paved twisties? Are there super street-grippy tires for pure sport road use in stock DRZ-S size?

If and when I go Super Moto I will get a Husky TE610.

Originally posted by Chainlash:

I put 10,000 miles on my Z Trail riding and street. than turned it in to a Supermoto with the best parts $$$$$ could buy....

DRZ400_0001.jpg Hope this helps!!!

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: WILD FX ]

Could someone explain this supermoto thing to me??? Untill this forum I have never seen a "dirt bike " converted into a "only" street bike. Seems to me a street bike would be better for the street and a dirt bike better for the dirt. Please dont let this post cause a war... I'm just curious...not trying to start s**t. thanks erik

To me it is like a whole new way of riding. I know of a few top sport bike riders like Ben Bostrom , Nicky Hayden that race Supermoto and they say they have way more fun than the Superbikes they ride.

I realy do not know how else to tell you but you just got to ride one and see for yer self...

Or wach this http://motard.concode.com

Klick on Tom Karlsson / Philemon Roukas New In Movies/ than klick on 1.wmv :)

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: WILD FX ]

Chainlash, Imoa I would go KTM, why? look at it :):D . The pic is out of a UK magazine TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) who are bringing out a second mag dedicated to Supermoto such is its rising popularity over here.

ktm.jpg

Thought you may like to subscribe WILD FX as the do post overseas :D

I’ve got the S in Supermoto trim also doing 90%-95% road miles and was thinking about changing to the KTM. I posted a message about changing to the 640SM a while ago and sure, the KTM is a QUALITY bike and reliable now. I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of the DRZ, too much fun for both on and off road. I had some interesting comments from the DRZ forum and not one from the KTM side. What a friendly lot we are. So even though I was seriously thinking along the lines you are, I’m pleased to say its still DRZ for me

Keith

Two years ago I wanted a KTM Duke, but they were to exspensive, to heavy, and no horse power, plus parts are of this world. So I built a KX500 supermotard instead with baja designs light kit and E-Line coil to make it street legal. It is such a gaint killer in the tight stuff and on short straights. I saved a lot of money and alot of weight, gained more horse power plus I can get parts just about anywhere. I have almost a 1,000 street and track miles on it and has yet to need a top end job, the thing is bullet proof unless you seize it. I'm 46 and everytime I hop on it I feel 16 again. I recommend it. Check out www.superTT.com

WILD FX, youre like a proud papa showing off his first born. :D That's the best picture of your bike yet. Maybe when I get through playing around in the dirt, I'll moto mine. I only have 1500 miles on it so far. I still have lots more trail miles to go. :)

Originally posted by DR-ZEZ:

WILD FX, youre like a proud papa showing off his first born. :) That's the best picture of your bike yet.

LMAO

:D:D:D:D:D:D Cigar any one... It,s a BOY!!!!! :D