Sign in to follow this  

How-To Change Chain Drz-S '00

Has anyone changed out the stock chain on a DRZ-S '00? I've looked for a master link, but Im either blind, insane, or just plain useless and can't find it,

Any help, Please!

E

Hey SouthOc! You're an American! HACKSAW! Just kidding BigDR, but I had to that too - The old chain had 4K on her, so I just hacked her off - took all of about 15 seconds.

Or if you have a Sawsall laying around, perfect job for this do all tool. You'll zip through it in seconds. :)

Or you could just use a chain breaker. That way if you're still going to use the stock chain you can just buy a master link and everything is perfect. That's what I did. I don't know why stock chains don't come with a master link? I've never seen a stock chain on any bike that has a master link.

Since we're on this topic, I noticed there's a green dot, on one of the links on my '00 S chain. It didn't look like a master link or anything, but I'm not sure I would know what a master link looks like??

Maybe it's just there to count chain length...?

Michael

some chains come with a clipless masterlink. you need the motion pro chain breaker/press tool to install it. basically ,it flares out the ends of the pins, forming an endless chain.unless you know what your looking for,you'll never know it's aftermarket.

the reason all bikes have endless chains is because of the amount of lawyers we have.basically,it's just to much of a risk to them to include a part that could possibly fly off if defective.these companies are fighting a daily barrage of lawsuits from people who want to get rich,or richer.thats the reason that helmets and tires cost so much also.

It used to be that larger roadbikes in the UK also could not be fitted with a replacement master link chain, it was recomended to have a rivetted chain in bikes over 250cc. Not sure if that is still the norm as i have not had a roadbike in years but i had a replacement chain on a CBX1000 once with masterlink that lasted 2 days before coming off at 80mph and smashing gearbox casing the next one was rivetted.

When replacing this chain on my 400 i will use a masterlink but fit a case saver and carry a spare link on bike.

Originally posted by handfulz28:

Since we're on this topic, I noticed there's a green dot, on one of the links on my '00 S chain. It didn't look like a master link or anything, but I'm not sure I would know what a master link looks like??

Maybe it's just there to count chain length...?

Michael

You would know the master link when you saw it. It has a clip on the outside plate that holds the plate on. You can't miss it.