Front sproket cover???

this may be a stupid ?, but is there an advantage or disadvantage to taking the cover off of the front sproket?

Most people here are removing the cover but leaving the case protector. All the cover does is trap mud which eventually destroys seals and gaskets...

I'm planning on cutting groves in my cover over xmas so I can leave it on and give the mud an easy way out.

-Matt

I'm planning on cutting grooves in mine if I ever get off my lazy butt and do it (Rather be ridin!) Until then, I just removed the cover entirely, but left the metal guard in place.

I removed it because mud packs in there and wears out seals, chain, etc. The only disadvantage is that it is slightly noisier from the chain noise.

[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Jeremy ]

Daft question, but if the sprocket cover is removed, how is the metal guard held in place (as well as the cables routed over the top of the sprocket)? The bolts are only threaded half-way and seem to protrude without the cover. Replacement bolts?

I'm going to just take a dremel tool to it, with a hole cutting tool.

That way I can make it look like a piece of swiss cheese

You know what, since were on the topic I'm going to go do it right now. I don't want my frig'n seals wearing out on me.

Originally posted by plasmasurge:

Daft question, but if the sprocket cover is removed, how is the metal guard held in place (as well as the cables routed over the top of the sprocket)? The bolts are only threaded half-way and seem to protrude without the cover. Replacement bolts?

The spacers that are in the guard push out easy and i used these with the standard bolts.

There are some wires there also held by a clip bend it so that wires are clear of sprocket.

done.

Ground out the slots on the cover with a dremel tool. Looks good.

Also drilled holes on the sides so mud can get out.

Looks good, you can see the chain a bit through it now also.

Can you post a picture?

Originally posted by Gyro:

done.

Ground out the slots on the cover with a dremel tool. Looks good.

Also drilled holes on the sides so mud can get out.

Looks good, you can see the chain a bit through it now also.

Originally posted by plasmasurge:

Daft question, but if the sprocket cover is removed, how is the metal guard held in place (as well as the cables routed over the top of the sprocket)? The bolts are only threaded half-way and seem to protrude without the cover. Replacement bolts?

I went to the hardware store and got shorter bolts, cost me a whole nickle.

I'll post a picture later, I have to get my digital camera back from my dad.(he took it on vacation)

I'll keep your request in mind though.

I'd say thursday or friday I'll have pictures

Lose the sprocket cover. It completely destroyed my chain by allowing mud to pack in. Rust city after a week of sitting around. Dendrz has the simplest solution, press the spacers out of the guard and your in buisness.

thanks for all the info guys, it looks like i am taking it off for now but i do want to see the pic of the one drilled out. i just drilled out my baja designs skid plate like the xr guys do and it looks bitchen!

I might just take mine off after all.

I will still post pictures though. Along with pictures of the renthal bars, clarke tank and well the rest of my bike :)

come this weekend.

I cut my plastic guard after the first ride on my bike. All I left on the sides was the part that the bolts pass through. I then cut three slots were the indents are. I have not had a problem since. The collar and seal looks like new still. I decided to leave the guard on to continue to protect my chain and sprocket from debris. The mud and ooze fling off and do not pack in around the sprocket. It took about 10 minutes of planning and 15 minutes of work. I got the idea from my KDX chain guard. I never had problems with it and figured I would make my DRZ gaurd like it. It's all good now! I would post a pic myself, but I can't seem to get any of my pictures to post to this site. :)

After loosing the chain on my DR250 my chain guard was broken off. After that the bike would always "eat" my shoelaces on my left shoes. I wear riding boots in the dirt but not when I'm riding to school on it. I don't want to have that problem with the DRZ. I can't imagine mine being full of mud, but I will look at it to make sure.

Originally posted by Paul J. Carter:

I cut my plastic guard after the first ride on my bike. All I left on the sides was the part that the bolts pass through. I then cut three slots were the indents are. I have not had a problem since. The collar and seal looks like new still. I decided to leave the guard on to continue to protect my chain and sprocket from debris. The mud and ooze fling off and do not pack in around the sprocket. It took about 10 minutes of planning and 15 minutes of work. I got the idea from my KDX chain guard. I never had problems with it and figured I would make my DRZ gaurd like it. It's all good now! I would post a pic myself, but I can't seem to get any of my pictures to post to this site. :)

send it to me, I'll get it up here

gyro777@yahoo.com

drz4cs.gif

This case saver looks like the answer :)

Anybody got the Aussie website address for this i cannot find it anymore??

My Aussie one should be here this week. Here is the e-mail address:

clark@sebas.vic.edu.au

Cost is Aussie $ will be $34 + shipping $10. If using email send

cc details in two or three parts

Mike

Thats about $36 CAN

Thanx candrzs, post a photo when you get it.

Den

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now