This thing is just plain fun!

All I've been able to do is ride on the street with my '01 S, but it sure is fun to ride. I'm still doing the break in routine, so I have not opened it up all the way, but I'm still impressed with the power.

Did everyone follow the manuals recommendation's for break in?

When I'm crusing at about 35-40mph, in 5th gear, there is either transmission noise or a lugging sound coming from the engine. The manual shows a shift from 4th to 5th at 31 mph. It just seems to be lugging the engine.

I rev mine right up, with the stock gearing I can wait till 75 to shift (reving it all the way up) but I normally shift into 5th gear at about 55mph. Stock gearing and big gun: I can take fifth gear all the way up to about 96-97mph but who knows how accurate the spedo is when reading that.

Regaurding break in! Drive it like you are going ride it. Don't baby it but don't abuse it. Change your oil and filter after the first 100 miles with the engine warm. The manual shows you. You can reuse the O-ring from the oil filter cover. Look at the filter in the sun or good light and you will see why I suggest changing the oil and filter. Let the old oil sit in the drain pan awhile and then look it over. :) Pretty scarey! I would suggest getting 2 oil filters and 4 quarts of suzuki oil so you can do this drill again at about 400 miles. :D From that point on there is much debate as to what for and how much and what kind :D I'm not going there :D

heh yea, oil... oh gawd

but changing the oil on this bike is Very easy.

I just got my 2002 S last week and you're not kidding! What a ride! :D I've only done a minimal amount of slow off-roading due to still having the trail wings on the bike.

On that 500 mile at half throttle breaking in period, it just make me want to cry everytime I look down at my odometer. I'm at 45 miles! :D

I appreciate the advice on the oil and filter changes. Anyone know a good place online to buy oil and filters? I'd really like to find a good price and just stock up!

Thanks! :)

Originally posted by EZGZ:

Regaurding break in! Drive it like you are going ride it. Don't baby it but don't abuse it.

I agree EZGZ, I bought mine with 108 miles on the odo. I had to ride it 100 miles home from upstate NY. I had to take the NY Thruway half of the way and there's no way I'm doing 45 MPH on that road. I come down doing 65 - 75 MPH. I did follow breakin procedure

for the next few hundred miles, but I really don't think that it was nessesary. Quite frankly, I think lugging the motor is worse than going over 45. If you take it over 45, just don't stay at one speed for very long, vary the speed.

I think around 40-45 mph would be a better shift point. The DRZ engine does tend to make wierd noises when it is lugged so I try not to do that.

I'm at a little over 100 miles now, I'll change it soon. My dealer told me 200 miles, but I know it never hurts to change more often. The manual has an oil service classification recommendation that I'm assuming is motorcycle specific. SF or SG.

My friend has a 01 DRZ400E, and he took it to the dunes with only 30 miles on it, wide open the whole time. He then took to the MX track with about 100 miles and raced it around. His engine still pures, just like the day he bought it. I would not necessarily recomend this but 100-200 miles and you should be fine. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BikeChimp
      I'd like to turn my UK 2004 DRZ400S back to stock airbox (snorkel) and jets, needle shim position etc
      When I bought it the PO had fitted a Sigma6 kit and done the 3x3 mod but is doesn't have a tapered needle like the JD and other kits. Took me ages to get it running right, however it still runs rich and I'm fed up of arsing around with it. 
      So I've bought a standard airbox without 3x3 hole, stock exhaust.
      Q1 The Suzuki manual says this Mukuni BSR36 (29FA) carb should have a 142.5 Main Jet but the Clymer manual say its a 135.  In UK everything's from sea level to 1000m. I'm in Sheffield so nothing gets above 500m even in the Peaks (Hills). Any UK owners or anyone else know what the correct jet should be?
      Q2 Says the original needle is a '5DH36-2nd'. The needle has 5 notches on it. Currently set at 2 clip from bottom. The Suzuki reference says needle is 5DH36-2nd, Does the 2nd bit mean 2nd from top or bottom?
      Q3 - Does anyone have a detailed photo of the shim order just in case it was assembled wrong. (mine is attached)
      I know most people on here are going to be horrified I'm taking back to stock but any help on above would be really appreciated.

• By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

-11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

- stock gas tank and seat will be included

The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .