Home made rack for the S

I wanted a rack, but didn't want to spend $100 for Suzuki's or $160 for an after market one. So I decided to make my own. I made it out of 1/8 aluminum angle and 1/8 aluminum flat bar. Bolted together with 6/32 screws. I used a scotch brite drill attachment to give it that brushed aluminum look. It weighs only 1 lb. It measures 8 1/2 x 13 ". It's big enough for a tail bag or an extra helmet. It ain't pertty, but it is functional! :)DSCF0022.JPG

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: DR-ZEZ ]

kewl

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Gyro ]

I like it. Nice job :) I have been scratching my head trying to think of how to do that on my E since there is no sub frame under the fender. If anyone has come up with something Please Post. I need something to hang my pretty new license plate on but don't like what I see in aftermarket. The meat racks are pricey and I don't want to cut my plastic up. I am going to need something strong enough to hold a gallon of gas when I ride the white rim trail (125 miles)

Way better than I could do DR-ZEZ! I thought about a putting a rack on my S, but over the summer I bought a Harper-Chase number plate bag that I really like. It holds a lot of stuff and is out of the way. It's easy to remove, but I don't even notice it so I leave it on all the time. I've also seen a bag somewhere that has a bladder in it for gas. I can't remember where or how it mounts, but I remember thinking that it was pretty cool! I guess you could always buy a cheap "CamelBack" type pack for gas too.

Geetch,

I was thinking of buying the chase harper plate bag as well, but wasn't sure how it would mount on the bike. Could you post a picture of what it looks like. What do you store in it and how much stuff can it hold?

Mine isn't as stout as DR-ZEZ's, but I don't put much weight on it. Plus it was quick to make! Just used diamond plate from Lowe's and attached it to the two holes for the tool bag and I drilled one additional hole. I drilled a few holes in the edges of the diamond plate, but often just wrap the bungee around it.

rack.jpg

how does this look only took about 1 hour to make and install waitin for paint though. and this pic was taken before i drilled holes to mount it.

rack.jpg

Wow, you just resurected a really old thread...

nice job mikegigabyte. looks OEM :lol:

how does this look only took about 1 hour to make and install waitin for paint though. and this pic was taken before i drilled holes to mount it.

rack.jpg

Nice job. I am going to build one for my bike now. Thanks for the idea.