FMF =equals= Fast Mother F'er (/w pictures)

Hello Y'all :ride:

Tax return came in and sent off the $$$ to Jessi for the latest Mod-The FMF Pipe.

Our story begins,,, Sweat Blue 650 DR.. Ohh soo lean....

I think I had it a week and sent off for the Jet Ket,K&N and 14 tooth CS.

Followed all the instructions from Uncle Jessi for the carb/air box mod..

Made a huge change in throttle response right off the bat !

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=13325

Home grown Air Box Mod, I have the pre-filter in there now.....

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=13322

Here we are with the "Monster Muffler" from the factory.....Looks like it should be on a Big Dodge Twin Turbo Cummins Diesel don't it ?

2006_0427_114725AA.jpg

Get that thing off of there !Dang it is FAT ! :crazy:

2006_0427_115635AA.jpg

I read that there is a FAT WELD in the head pipe here;

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341427&highlight=porting

Soooo, I had to check it out and here it is...

2006_0427_115726AA.jpg

About 1/8 inch all the way around.. looks like it was done by a automated welder for sure !Thick enough too stick my finger under.....

2006_0427_115816AA.jpg

So I over heated the air compressor (Beer Break)by grinding that down smooth.......

2006_0427_140731AA.jpg

And here we are all back together....

2006_0427_161138AA.jpg

I did leave out the carb mod pictures, not wanting to get gas on the digital camera, but nothing new there just the 170 Main Jet.......

About the performance :ride:

This does not seem like the same Briggs and Stratton I started with.

The La-La-Lugging is gone,40MPH to 90+ in fifth is no prob.

It has a WIDE power band that never seems to end....

I even surprised myself on the wheelies,, Just twist and ride 'em all day!

In 5th,with a 14 tooth CS I really comes on about 50,Hang on !

Got the money? It's worth every penny !Post any ???'s here and I'll check back...

How do you personally compare the noise level versus the stock muffler, say at idle, cruising speed and WOT. Just curious because I've been thinking about ordering one, but don't want a lot of noise. Thanks.

Grinding the header weld is an option. Beside why would you want to spend money get more air and fuel into the engine if you can't help the the engine move the mixture out. Anything you do to help the engine breathe is good and grinding out the header is free, so why wouldn't you do it. Less than one hour of work and it's done.

How do you personally compare the noise level versus the stock muffler, say at idle, cruising speed and WOT. Just curious because I've been thinking about ordering one, but don't want a lot of noise. Thanks.

Noise is all relative right ? It don't matter if your a relative !Sounds good to me but,,,,,,,,,

Quite on the low end,, say below 2500RMP.......What I call stealth mode to get out past the neighbors houses..

Around 3000 it turns on :crazy: Not as loud as the HOG with the drag pipes but sound is a good tone,, not like a busted muffler sound...

But now on the low end if you whip the throttle you will get the "Braaapp" I was looking for...

All in all I would say quite when you want stealth,,,low revs.. but will still Braap! when spanked...

You can actually hear it going down the road 55MPH+ but not ear ringing loud-like the V-Twin was.

Bottom line the harder/faster you get on it the louder it gets...

About the weld... I'd say optional.... but it is a free option !

Ohhh one other thing...

Don't bother painting you header with engine paint rated at 500 degrees F.

All of it was on my garage floor in about 15 seconds....

The pipe is back to being tan-ish now ,, all of it...And the Smell fewwww !!!!! :crazy:

I have a new can of 1200 degrees paint for the next go 'round.

2006_0427_161159AA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DoubleD, I assume that you drilled the extra hole in the carb slide and ditched the backfire screen too. You see now what I'd said before, theres no comparison to what the bike was when it was stock now is there? :crazy: The 14tooth sprocket works great too. I've got that and the 45tooth rear for an even bigger hit. Its great offroad but a bit to buzy on. It'd probably work for those guys riding city streets but I'd say if you do alot of highway or backroad riding just stay with the 14tooth mod. I use my DR for about 90% trail riding having another bike for the street so it works for me to use it that way.

Moparth, as for noise there is only slightly more burble at idle and at normal throttle use. When you crack the throttle though there is allot more bark. Ride it easy and you won't offend your neighbors or others on the trail that don't ride.

Mike.

I have used VHT cast iron paint (wood stove paint) with great success. Hit hte header lightly witha scotch brite pad, clean well with acetone, clean again with acetone. If baking the paint in an oven is not an option, Put hte pipe on, start the bike for about twnety or so seconds, and them let the pipe cool overnight. I used the start/cool method and the pipe looks freshly painted three thousand miles later.

Ohhh one other thing...

Don't bother painting you header with engine paint rated at 500 degrees F.

All of it was on my garage floor in about 15 seconds....

The pipe is back to being tan-ish now ,, all of it...And the Smell fewwww !!!!! :ride:

I have a new can of 1200 degrees paint for the next go 'round.

2006_0427_161159AA.jpg

Try POR15. They have high temp black up to 1200 degrees, and grey and aluminum finshes up to 1400. :crazy: Just ordered some today.

Yep,, did the extra hole when I did the Dyno Jet mod.....

DR650ABMSlideDrill.JPG

Hey SGT Mike,,,

Did you move the clip up one one the needle to the third position ?

Mine is in the 4th from the bottom using the 170 Main Jet and still seem s bit lean. Lean as in white-ish plugs poping on decel..Runs like a bat out of hell though... just don't want to toast my valves or anything....

Here is a graphic from NJK plugs,,mine is somewhere in the middle.

charttempfiringend.gif

Here is one on heat range;My plug is a bit whiter

Spark_Plug_Readings_Proper_HeatRange2.jpg

I don't know anyone who runs a MJ larger than a 170.

I run a 155 with a similar setup.

Enjoy your newly found power. Nice bike now, aint it. Try taking some weight off and you'll like it even more.

Holy cow there is a lot of weld in there :ride: I just spent 45 minutes and one grinding wheel wondering what kind of difference grinding that sucker out of there will have on the bike :crazy:

I've got everything else done i.e. jetting, carb work, supertrapp, air box etc. so it will be interesting. I also painted my tank flat black (used to be white, purple, orange), so that should increase it's performance as well :ride:

Now if only the rain would stop?

Yep,, did the extra hole when I did the Dyno Jet mod.....

Hey SGT Mike,,,

Did you move the clip up one one the needle to the third position ?

Mine is in the 4th from the bottom using the 170 Main Jet and still seem s bit lean. Lean as in white-ish plugs poping on decel..Runs like a bat out of hell though... just don't want to toast my valves or anything....

Here is a graphic from NJK plugs,,mine is somewhere in the middle.

Here is one on heat range;My plug is a bit whiter

I really can't remember right now about the clip position but I went with the one that Dynajet recommended. A Dyna jet 170 jet, which is not the same as the same number Mikuni jet, is a big jet. I doubt its running lean. When your decellerating your carb drops back from the main jet to the idle circut. The more abruptly you snap off the throttle the worse the popping will be. If you were to ease off on the throttle slowly it probably wont happen. You might try turning out the idle mixture screw a little to richen it up. The transition from main jet to idle won't be so severe so if there are no exhaust leaks, that should help. Remember a little bit of popping is normal. It goes with a free-er flowing pipe. But if its excessive check the connection to the head pipe for blow by. FMF says to use a silicone based gasket sealer there. If you did, it probably blew out. Its not real obvious, just shows very little wisps of black soot on the pipe where the connection is made. You may be able to feel it with the bike running. It doesn't take but a tiny leak to make allot of annoying popping on decel. If you reseal it with Permatex copper plus sealant it will hold up allot better. As for the plugs I use the stock ones, nothing special. All in all though, given the amount of work you just tackled if your only bug to work out is a little popping give yourself a pat on the back! :crazy:

Mike.

11pat_back_assist3.jpg

Thanks for the "pat on the back" SGT Mike(all though I think my back has more HAIR on it :ride: )

Yep Sgt Mike(or anyone) did the Slime Time on the connection..577022.gif

I used, as suggested, the high temp "Perma-Slime" in the tube connections.

And it seems sealed up good....Just pops on hard decels,,,must be OK?

I found this post by Burned;;;;

Q-My bike pops on deceleration.It must be lean!

A-NO!!!!!!!!!!A motorcycle with a properly tuned pilot circuit will

have a slight pop on decel.Heavy explosions in the exhaust pipe is

caused overly rich pilot settings and or exhaust leaks.

Q-I just put aftermarket pipe on and now it pops on decel.It must be

lean now.

A-It always popped,you just couldnt hear it with a stock muffler.

Here it is in full;

http://drz.info/drz/dynofaq.htm

Here is the PDF for the DynoJet kit if your saying "What Clip?";

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3138.pdf

I think I will turn out the handy dandy thumb screw at least a 1/2 crank or so...I can't really remember if it was 1 &1/2 or 2 &1/2 now... I give it a 1/2 anyway... and the plugs another lookie after the 3ed or so tank of gas now...

Now If I can get the dang Briggs+Crappin' Roto-Tiller carb to work that good !

It's got one of those 'Paulse Jet' Carbs on there that someone rebuilt before I got to it..... It's a borrowed thing,,, one of those"You can use it if you get it runnin'" deals ..... :crazy:

THX !

Yep,,, And just look at that Suspension Travel !

48adv_leg_stretch4.jpg

It's lookin' like at V-Twin from here :banana:

02neck_forwrd3.jpg

Any Who,,,,,

SGT Mike was right,, Just a twisty on the handy dandy thumb screw and very little pop pop poppers now. I think it is at 2 2/3eds now...Haven't checked the plugs 'cause I been ridin' it! Had to dynamite the brakes today('bout ate a GMC back bumper,,dude had no lights at all) That DR stops on a dime for a heavy bike ! :ride:

***A-It always popped,you just couldnt hear it with a stock muffler.

###one of those"You can use it if you get it runnin'" deals ..... :ride:

THX !

***This is an interesting thought about the popping:thinking:

###I know what you mean here, just picked up a chipper on ebay. Guy said it ran great last year just wouldn't start this year. Maybe needs a tune up. Yeh,right! Won the bid, picked it up to find that the oil drain plug missing and that it was siezed. :banana: Oh well,Ebay buyer beware right?

Any way glad I could help you with that DD.

Mike.

:banana:

Your right about e-bay ! That is where I got my bike from,, found a fella goin' back to the golf and needed the $$$ for the wife before deployment....

I will only bid on things that are new or like new,still not a sure thing....

Lookin' for another ATV for my wife to get 'er on the trails with me&JR.

Small engines ain't too bad to deal with depends if it's busted up inside or not...Find a mower fixer guy that has the same engine used and do a 'core swap' with him,,,$100 :ride:

"She's locked up dare just like when they put me in the nervious hospital- Ahhh-Hmmm"

slingblade.jpg

Maybe Carl know the problem here........

http://65.24.76.65/sounds/movies/slingblade/nogas.mp3