Arizona or Georgia?

Well, as soon as "stop loss" is lifted, I'll be separating from the Air Force. I'm applying for a civil service job in both Yuma, Arizona and Augusta, Georgia. Would like to hear some feedback on not only places to ride, but generally what you think of these areas as well. I know we have some Arizona folks on here. I here that Augusta is absolutely beautiful, but I have very little info about Yuma. I know it's drier than a popcorn fart and hot as hell in the summer. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

I don't live in, nor ridden, in either, but travel to both places on business. I would think Arizona's climate and terrain are much more enjoyable.

I can only comment on Arizona,

Tempeture get hot in the mid summer months.

I lived in the Mohave desert area (lake havasu Parker area) , hottest part of the country (US).

3 month of extreme heat , and 9 months of awsome weather.

all kinds of riding terrain, mostly abandoned desert, rocks, sand hills, the best offroad place,

they run Score 400 baja style races, big Baja trucks modified dune buggies and offroad motorcycles.

you must know were you ride because there is lots of indian reservations (native american) land, they have their own police and own laws, be carefull.

Oh man I wish I could go back, may be one day :)

I live in north Georgia, and have visited Augusta several times. Augusta is a nice city. As for heat, the summer gets pretty muggy (lots of humidity), but mostly only June through August. It doesn't get too cold much there. Might see some snow once every 3 or 4 years, but not much if you do.

If riding is a big thing in your life, I'd imagine Arizona affords more opportunities. From my understanding, there is lots of government land in the west open for riding. Not much open government land here, and what is mostly requires a Dual Sport and staying on the roads.

Greetings Stop loss Boy

I two am stop lossed!! I was only two weeks away from terminal leave and retirement. Have been stationed at kirtland AFB(Alb. New Mexico) for a couple of years now and there is a reason for that, The Riding!!! Arizona and New Mexico are similar states and in my opinion are a couple of the last free riding states left. The east coast is packed with people and georgia is packed with country people!! Not sure if you a from the south or not but you might want to look into Georgia real good if you are not a southener. Arizona is Dirt Bike friendly and has a few very good sounding Dirt Bike clubs. I am thinking about joining the Arizona Trail Riders. I met some of those guys during the Kachena Enduro. Very Friendly. If I were you I would choose Arizona you will not be sorry!! Of coarse, this is from someone who does'nt really like the south. Believe me I have my reasons :) . I see you are in Co. Springs. I was at the AF acadamy a few months ago. We took a Helicopter(MH-53j) And were recruting cadets. Thats one nice place. I here there is some good riding there. If you are ever in the Albq. area look me up and I will show you some great desert riding, Might help you make your decision. Remember, the place you live is only as good as the riding!! Take care...see-ya

Born in GA and after much traveling now live in sunny AZ. It is true that it gets quite hot here in the summer but I would rather be here then back east with the humidity. If you are in CO now then you should know what to expect from AZ. I lived in Denver for a few and find AZ much like CO. Denver-east could get pretty warm (90+) in the summer, but escape was only a hour or so away in the high country. It's the same in AZ- Phoenix 100- 1 hour drive north is 80. In the GA region there is no escape. As far as riding- come to AZ my friend :) There is alot of land open to off-roading and the terrain is very deverse- sand, rock, mountian, woods, WHATEVER!

Damn, you guys are making me want to move to Arizona! :) All seriousness aside thought, Arizona would be my first pick.

I live in CA and ride all over the west. The same goes for AZ. You have access to the whole west coast and Mexico. Once you experience to wide open of the desert west, you'll never go back.

Did I mention it was 75 and sunny today? :)

In all reality, It's a very good chance I could stay here in Colorado Springs(my first choice). I love it here and yes, Beavis360, the riding is awesome here. Sounds like you and I should take turns playing "tour guide" this coming summer(if I stay here). I'll bet NM has some fabulous riding. Or maybe we can get together at a RMEC event. My next door neighbor(DRZ-E) and I have been talking about entering at least a few of the races in Colorado, but I know there's two in NM as well. Tentatively, Kachina Enduro in Espanola 21 Apr 02, and the Mile High Enduro in Cloudcroft on 8 Sept 02. I was due to separate 28 Dec and have been stationed at the Air Force Academy for 4 yrs now. We've bought a home and would really like to stay, but everything pivots around stop loss. I'm originally from Washington State, so I don't think I would like Georgia too much. However, I don't think my wife would like Arizona too much. Thanks for all the info guys!

Originally posted by no-race-Richard:

Did I mention it was 75 and sunny today? :)

Wanna trade places? 35 and sunny here.

:D

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: ColoradoDRZ ]

Stay in Colorado springs if you can. Great for you and the wife. Great riding too. When it gets too cold go skiing. At least you will be climatised for the cold.

My wife and I love to skii but after being in Phoenix for 7 years we are too thinned out to brave the cold. We spend a month or so each summer up your way and it is beautiful but we freeze every night even in the summer.

I have friends in Colorado springs who ride with ice studs all winter. These are retired guys with DRZ400e.

They also visit here in winter as it is only a days drive and no studs reqiured.

Arizona is a beautiful state but it is different from other places and takes some getting used too. Yuma is probably not representitive of Arizina. So all those other posts on how great Arizona is are correct and maybe under stated but Yuma is NOT the same. I have not seen any posts from Yuma so maybe after this one I will get some action. I will say one thing. After living in Phoenix for 7 years I cannot think of a better place to retire. Out of all the places in Arizona though Yuma would be the very last choice except for maybe Ajo, Gila Bend and Quartzite.

I have nothing against those places. Just would not want to live there.

If you are seriously thinking about it then you MUST take the wife there for a week or so and see what you think.....Good luck.....Victor

Lot's of good desert riding near Yuma. AZ is a biker friendly state. Yuma is one ugly place. You better visit before you decide.

My choice will be to retire to Texas Hill Country.

Thanks guys, I'm starting to lean away from the Yuma idea. Honestly though, the only thing that really attracted me to the idea in the first place is it's really close to the Baja Penninsula. I KNOW there's some GREAT riding there! However, I don't think the wife or I would like it that much. And besides, things are starting to look up a little better as far as the possibility of staying here in "The Springs".

I was wondering if you had ever been to Georgia. The cmopany I work for is just North of Atlanta. I saw you say you are from Washington. Georgia looks a lot like Washington. Lots of pines and hills. One difference, Starbucks on every corner in Seattle, Waffle House on every corner in Atlanta.

Another difference, huge humidity in Goergia. Not that nice cool humidity in Washington, but really nasty, hot, can't breath humidity.

Yuma is dry in comparison, but there is a lot of marsh there. The Colorado river runs through it, and the whole town is agriculture. Lots of irrigation = lots of Humidity.

If I had a choice between Georgia, Washington, Yuma, Phoenix and The Springs...I'd try my best to stay in the Springs. For now I'll stick to Phoenix.

BTW the RMEC races around Lubbock (Lone Star Enduro, and Caprock Canyon) are great fun. Cloudcroft was a little rocky for me, but I do not live in the Rocky Mountains.

Originally posted by ColoradoDRZ:

Well, as soon as "stop loss" is lifted, I'll be separating from the Air Force. I'm applying for a civil service job in both Yuma, Arizona and Augusta, Georgia. Would like to hear some feedback on not only places to ride, but generally what you think of these areas as well. I know we have some Arizona folks on here. I here that Augusta is absolutely beautiful, but I have very little info about Yuma. I know it's drier than a popcorn fart and hot as hell in the summer. Any help would be much appreciated. :)