Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 vs Yz426F vs WR400 VS 250 2 STROKES

I have read every post and magazine article on the above and it seems everyone has a different opinion. However, there is only one real truth and I want to know what it is! I own an 01' drz400e and because its not broken in I have not really experienced all its got. Some people say the YZ is worlds faster and more powerful while others say they are comparable. Now then, in a flat out drag race on a flat trail, how will the above fare? My last bike was an 83' CR250 ( in 83'!) and I remember it being blisteringly fast! Lets assume all these bikes are bone stock. I don't want to feel buyers remorse as I was close to getting the YZF but went with the DRZ because I got it for $4500 instead of the $5500 they wanted for the YZ.

If you had both the YZF and DRZ and rode each over a tight gnarly trail section for a couple of hours i think you would find you would not have buyers remorse with your choice of DRZ.

If you took both to a moto track that would be a different matter because that is what the YZF was designed for.

I have raced my DRZ in motoX against both yz426 and CR's, and KX's 250's The DRZ has alot of low end and great mid-range, I usually was 1st,2nd ,or 3rd to the first turn, it was about a

60 yard dash to the first turn, on long straights

the 426 would pull ahead if I managed to get a holeshot on them, and the tight corners and tripples is where the CR's and KX's would rule

but it was a 35+ class and was a blast, I also had

a full stroker pipe and jetting. The YZ426 is fast

no doubt, on top end maybe 5-7 mph faster, but the DRZ will give it fits on low end, and through

most of the mid-range.

Tony,

My roommate has a YZ400 and we trade every once in a while when riding. His bike is a little faster. His also has a mega-decibel exhaust while the DRZ-E is stock. When we are riding side by side all I hear is his bike but mine keeps up just fine. I find that I can pull wheelies a little easier on the YZ but that could be because it is lighter.

I think it's like comparing a Porsche and a Ferrari. Which one is better?

Originally posted by TonyRomero:

I have read every post and magazine article on the above and it seems everyone has a different opinion. However, there is only one real truth and I want to know what it is! I own an 01' drz400e and because its not broken in I have not really experienced all its got. Some people say the YZ is worlds faster and more powerful while others say they are comparable. Now then, in a flat out drag race on a flat trail, how will the above fare? My last bike was an 83' CR250 ( in 83'!) and I remember it being blisteringly fast! Lets assume all these bikes are bone stock. I don't want to feel buyers remorse as I was close to getting the YZF but went with the DRZ because I got it for $4500 instead of the $5500 they wanted for the YZ.

Tony, I want to add something here. You ask about a flat out drag race. A stock DRZ400 vs. YZ426, the YZF will beat the DRZ hands down. This is due to the weight and HP differece between the two bikes because the YZF is a race bike.

The YZF isn't that bad on low end. Here is some low end numbers. At 3000 RPM the stock 426 (my sons) is making 11.8 HP and a stock DRZ is at 10.7 HP. At 5000 the YZ is 29.6 and the DRZ is 24.9 HP. At 6500 the YZ is at 39.8 and the DRZ is at 33.7 HP. From 6750 The YZ is into the 40 HP range all the way to 11,250 ( rev limiter), Peaking at 45.1 at 8500 RPM. It still has 41.4 at 11,000. That is strong over rev. A stock DRZ peaks around 9000 at 40.5 HP. At 10000 it is done (rev limiter.)This was on a DynoJet 150 dyno. The YZF and the DRZ are two different bikes and shouldn't be compared. I have a DRZ436 I ride trails with that puts out as much HP as the YZF but there is a lot of work into the motor and it still is not as light as the YZ and I have trimmed it down a lot.

But the DRZ is a good handling and reliable trail bike and hard to beat for the money.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: DRZDUC ]

I ride with and have ridden my buddy's WR426.The Yamaha motor just flat out has a harder hit upstairs.I have a lot of goodies on my kicker DRZ as you can see in my sig.His bike is not even YZ timed and will still pull on me.Yamaha has an awesome motor design and lets not leave out the fact it does have another 26cc's over the DRZ.That has to count for something.When it comes to trail riding I would'nt trade my DRZ as handling is more important than power.Both bikes piped and jetted there would be less than 5 hp difference as the DRZ has more hidden power from the factory than the race ready Yamy.250 2 strokes dont like to get traction cause the motor's power hits like a lightswitch.

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: weekendtoy98DR ]

I raced my buddy on his WR426. We were side by side, but it was really wet and I think that he was shifting a little too early. His bike definitely pulls harder on the top end, but I still have my snorkel in the airbox and stock jetting. My jets should be here tomorrow, then I will race him again. I have a WB R4 pipe, he has the stock pipe with baffle removed, airbox cover removed, and carbs rejetted. I haven't ridden his bike since I go the DRZ, but I think the low-end and midrange are about the same.

Craig

I forgot to mention that I LOVE the electric start. The button is nice when you get stuck in tricky situations, like on the side of a hill when it is very hard to reach the ground.

I regularly ride with guys who have WR426, CR450F, YZ400. I get to ride them all. I always love to get back on my bike. My DRZ is comfy and can keep up or pass up any of those bikes in the desert depending upon my mood.

In fact, it is so comfy that I don't have the common problems that those others suffer from like "arm pump" and "fatigue" from all of that vibration and bouncing.

I thought about the KTM 520, but, I realized that I would spent a boatload of money just to try to get the bike where mine is now minus some weight. I am happy with the DRZ

Everything above is true,

you cannot compare a YZ to a DR, a YZ is a race oriented MX bike, a DR is a fun oriented trail+ bike.

The YZ has a stronger motor and a quicker rev.

DR is more mellow.

It depends what you want to use it for ( be honest)!!!!!!!

If you race and MX a YZ would of been a better choice, it you trail ride with some MX track, you will be much happier with a less agressive DR.

less fatique, easy to turn, and handle, E-start is great.

there is lots of advantage and disadvantage for both bikes , it depends on you riding style and terrain.

I firmly believe there's a lot to be said about riding preference type(the terrain and conditions) and user friendliness (the bike). A DRZ is super user friendly which is what you want for trail riding. Even aggressive trail riding. When you try to trail ride w/ an unfriendly machine(YZF/WRF/any 2-stroke, etc) you most often end up fighting(or trying to adapt, improvise and overcome) the machines character, like its power delivery and handling. This is especially true when the trail is gnarly and/or really tight. A 2-stroke and even the YZ/WRF to some degree don't make power unless their running higher in the rpm range because of inadequate fly-wheel weight. And when they are, the power is not usable because you don't want to go that damn fast to begin with. Another point to make; the YZ/WRF's are built to be race bikes. As such, I think their made to break. Serious racers usually rebuild everything at least once a year, if they don't buy a new machine every year. You made a sound choice with the DRZ as it is bullet-proof reliable AND super user friendly.

The group I ride with call my bike the "Cadilac". The bike turns very well, there is plenty of power to maintain speed through the woods and the bike doesn't tire you out by triyng to jump out from under you.

The only negative I have is the weight. Which tends to affect me most during slow turns in soft terrain. Also in mud sections the bike tends to plow through the mud. While 2 stokes seem to ride on top of the mud.

One friend has a '01 KTM 520mxc, I would like to have this bike but $7200 is to rich for me.

I think you made the right choice. The drz is a great bike. Make a few mods and have fun!!!!!

Tony,

My buddy has a 426F and it's a great ride, as they all are. That is until you kill it, then you spend the rest of your time and energy jumping up and down on the kick starter. You must meticulously follow the recommended starting procedure when it is hot. This is not an embellishment. Enjoy your E and spend the $1000 you saved on upgrades...

I must come to the defense of the Yamaha to the above post.I ride with another TT member "Wayneo426" his bike stalls now and again in the woods but no more than my DRZ.Starting the 426?I've NEVER seen it give him a problem.He just calmly runs the kick starter to where the motor needs to be in the cycle, brings it up.... Blamo!He's off.Just gotta know how to do it I guess.My kicker is foolproof as the the deco lever "pops" out when she is in prime position.

the guys i ride with think the ktm 400 is amuch better bike than the drze, but when we were out last sunday i done a few laps against the ktm, i stuck with it all the way, there was a straight about 150 yds and each lap we'd line up in 2nd gear, by the time we hit the brakes my mate would of pulled about 1 bike length in front,i then rode the ktm and f**k was it uncomfortable, give me a grunty arm chair drze any day especially with almost £2000 less on the price tag

You guys are still trying to convince yourselves that the DRZ is all you think it is.

Its Not....

Neither is any other bike for that matter.

90% rider......remember?

I would consider buying a DRZ when suzuki decides to step up to the plate and make some upgrades besides decals. Till then, you guys can have them all.

Originally posted by *mike68*:

You guys are still trying to convince yourselves that the DRZ is all you think it is.

Its Not....

Neither is any other bike for that matter.

90% rider......remember?

I would consider buying a DRZ when suzuki decides to step up to the plate and make some upgrades besides decals. Till then, you guys can have them all.

I agree with you 100%......but, you also have to realize that some bikes suit a certain person's riding style better than others. As well as some bikes do certain things better than others. The DRZ is KING of the trails.

I disagree. My WR rips in the woods. I ride a lot of tight stuff also. My friend has a WR also and his is set up a little different. When we switch for the hell of it, I think his ride sucks. Back to the 90% rider. What you ride you become one with. Thats what makes a rider go. My seat does suck though.