Sign in to follow this  

Kidney belt use

Looking for thoughts on Kidney belt use and recommended brands.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

My thoughts are that it is a personal safety decison. It probably is more of a fatigue issue at the end of a long ride. I would go with what looks and feels comfortable. I also feel like it boosts my confidence level when I have all my riding gear on and I drive faster because of it.

Most people wear kidney belts if they ride for long periods of time. Like all day rides with a lot of bouncing and shaking. I like MSRs kidney belt myself. I get stones frequently and use the kidney belt to help keep the soreness down a bit.

I wear a Fox belt and I like it, but I haven't tried any others. I feel like it gives me more confidence for some reason. I started wearing one to see if it would reduce lower back pain after riding. I helps quite a bit and I don't feel as fatigued after riding if I wear it, even on short rides of an hour or two.

Oh yeah! Fatigue - a good belt is a real help - especially on those long rides. Hey - want to save a ton of $$ - go to a local Home Depot. They sell a belt with shoulder straps and velcro tightening straps for about $15 - its as good as a lot of speciality bike belts and its a fraction of the cost.

belt.jpg

That's what I use. An inexpensive belt and I cut the shoulder straps off a few years ago to use it when I'm working out in my yard doing a lot of lifting. Works great for riding.

Those types of belts our best because they suport your back better. I use Moose back suport but its the same as the hardware store type with out the straps. Suports work best over the shirt under the belt/pants. You don't want to throw your back out picking up your bike on a hill.

I also use the inexpensive belt that I got from home depot. It works great for the long rides, when you take it off after its been on a while you feel strange or at least I do. I would save your money for bike mods rather than get the high dollar style with a #$%#Q logo sewed on.

Happy New Year

Peace

Rob

I recently got the Fox belt. I fight back problems most of the time. Wow! What a difference. I'm sure any type will do as long as it gives good firm support to the lower lumbar area. However, I recall seeing mention in one of the cycle rags about a belt that Ty Davis uses in the product reviews. I don't remember the brand but they gave it very high marks. Good luck, Paul :)

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: PMAUST ]

I use body armour and find the kidneybelt part of it is the part I'm most grateful for. And it makes you feel a bit indestructible too, far more so than a belt on its own. This can be a bad thing however... The stuff with the webbing is the go, as the ones with the straps tend to shift and get uncomfortable I found.

You look a bit like Michelin Man when filling up but if you're riding with other guys wearing them then people steer clear of you :)

Steve

Originally posted by Crazy Luke:

Oh yeah! Fatigue - a good belt is a real help - especially on those long rides. Hey - want to save a ton of $$ - go to a local Home Depot. They sell a belt with shoulder straps and velcro tightening straps for about $15 - its as good as a lot of speciality bike belts and its a fraction of the cost.

belt.jpg

Great tip I'm sure to go out and buy one asap!

I'm sort of old scholl and probably considered a heavier rider at 200+ lbs, but I firmly believe in kidney belts and have found none better than the Kevco-Stubbs brand!!!

Thanks Buzzard-

I just got one...I don't have a Home Depot nearby...oh well, $20 lost. I guess I won't get popcorn+soda at the next movie...Or maybe I'll just watch 'On Any Sunday' at home....again.

Why use kidney belt?

I was told by some smart guy ones that you must use it because your internal organs (kidney, liver and such are not supported or susspended or connected to any muscles, they just lay there like picles in a jar.

once you start shaking those picles( kidney, liver and such) , they can be come brused at the end of the ride , and you will feel it.

to recap: kidney belt is not there to protect when you fall to the ground, but rather to give additional support to your stomack and back muscles to hold the internal organs in place when you ride over rough stuff all day long.

I hope this will boost kidney belt sales.

i agree with the home depot belt. i have used one for years. save money. besides the shouder straps keep it in place for us big belly drz riders.

I like the straps a lot too. In addition to helping keep in in postion, its an easy matter to get off, unzip the coat, rip the velcro open, and the belt hangs ... no chance of losing it or having it stolen when you put it down and have your back turned.