Gas tank stickers are falling off by just sitting?

I just bought factory effex stickers for my drz. I drained all the gas to store in my basement, that is heated and not damp. The next two days I looked at it and saw the grafix some how pulled back and a 6x1" oval appeared. It was not against anything. So then I stuck it back on. The next week I checked again and it was back on both sides. So I put it back, but this time I took off the tank cap. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is it the stock S tank or an plastic E tank. The octane in Gas will soak in to the tank making it difficult for stickers to stay in place.

It happened to me as soon as I purchased the Clarke plastic tank. I called Clarke and they said there is nothing I can do and that "all plastic tanks do that". FYI, this is just not true as my friends E model has the new Acerbis plastic tank with no problems.

Yup, very common in some plastic tanks. Some stickers are made for gas tanks and will not bubble. Gas actually seeps through tank, which is microscopically porous. One fix might be to do a zillion holes through the sticker with a push-pin first, then gasses will go through sticker.

Ok, I'll buy that. My Clarke tank must be much more porus than normal.

I have an "E" with stock tank and stickers. It has been sitting for about a month and there is an air bubble on the left side about 3" in diameter. My KX500 has yet to bubble the stickers.

I think it is the tanks, my drz has only 300 miles so it is still new I wonder if the older it gets and the more gas it absorbs the less it will bubble once the tank is saturated?

Originally posted by Hotler:

I have an "E" with stock tank and stickers. It has been sitting for about a month and there is an air bubble on the left side about 3" in diameter. My KX500 has yet to bubble the stickers.

I think it is the tanks, my drz has only 300 miles so it is still new I wonder if the older it gets and the more gas it absorbs the less it will bubble once the tank is saturated?

Hotler, I second that! Mine is doing the very same thing on the left side except I have 4 separate bubbles each approx 1" diameter. I just keep using a razor blade or a very sharp knife to split the bubble down the middle. Maybe I should ride the damn thing to burn up all the gas in the tank! How much snow you guys got up there? When I was at Hiper Sports yesterday, I noticed they had some studded knobbies for sale....hhmmm.

:)

I have a 2001 E and I bought it in Febuary. It still bubbles the graphics. I use up all the gas then park it. It helps, but does not stop the bubbles.

My 2000 E tank sticker bubbled up on the left side. I think it's a function of the plastic tank. My wifes cousin had a Yamaha ttr-90 which sat around for about 6 months. We went to look at it and you couldn't even recognize the tank sticker. Bubbled up so much it looked melted. Don't think theres a good solution. Paint maybe? :)

I have a 2001 DRZ400E & the tank stickers bubbled after a week of use. My suggestion is to remove the stickers & replace with Factory EFFEX graffics, they not only look great but they stick to the tank, fenders & swing arm.

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Richard D ]

I had the same problem with my IMS 4.2 gallon tank and the fix was to intall the stickers then take a razor knife and straight-edge and put dashed cuts in the stickers. This allows them to breathe because the tank off-gases constantly. This is the only way to keep stickers on the take. I did see an IMS (CEET) sticker for this tank at Baja Designs the other day that had wholes in the entire sticker.

Originally posted by Richard D:

[QB]I have a 2001 DRZ400E & the tank stickers bubbled after a week of use. My suggestion is to remove the stickers & replace with Factory EFFEX graffics, they not only look great but they stick to the tank, fenders & swing arm.

That is what the post is about. Pavelkod used Factory Effex decals.