Simple Question! - tighter or looser?

Hi guys, hope you can help me, im over in sunny england (very close to sea level) if that helps my question.

Basically iv got a 98WR thats just undergone a complete engine rebuild and a new carb (well from breakers)- dam slider, i think its off a 99 as it has an extra bit that Ts into the hot start.

Anyway after a day of building it up, it started! but its idleing VERY high even though idle screw is at minimum and iv checked all my cables, and that the hot starts not on.

the pilot screw is a 1 and 3/8th turns from thumb tight.

Is this my fueling? do i need to go tighter or looser?

Thanks in advance

On my 03 WR 450, you screw the pilot screw in to make it richer, out to make it leaner. If you have the right pilot jet installed, the pilot screw should be somewhere between about 1.5 and 3 turns out, if I recall right. If you check recent posts, you'll probably be able to get the exact numbers.

As for the idling, I'm not sure the pilot screw will fix that issue.

On my 03 WR 450, you screw the pilot screw in to make it richer, out to make it leaner...

You must have an Aussie bike that works differently being in the southern hemisphere. On northern hemisphere WR's, the farther out on the fuel/pilot screw, the richer the mix...SC

You may want to check the throttle slide plate in the carb. the 98 and 99's were famous for cracking the plates. Pieces would break off and get sucked into the engine. A missing chunk or crack acts like a small throttle opening causing the bike to rev when the throttle is closed. Check carefully with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks.

Update!

checked all hoses and joints and cant find a leak!

and allso tried the fuel without much luck, but get this,

the bike runs absolutley perfect with the choke on, idles right, revs right.

knock the choke off and it idles high!,

also wont start from cold with the choke on!

its like its the wrong way around! ... any ideas?

cheers guys