New cam and new carb - WOW!

I just put the E model intake cam in my S, and the thinner E base gasket. While I was at it I put on a Kehein FCR39mm carb with a 168 main, 48 pilot. All I can say is it now kicks serious A$$! It's like a different bike. I paid $489 for the carb, and $200 for the intake cam and gaskets.

Thank you to everyone here that provided all the helpfull info over the last few months that made this possible.

-Matt

Is that the same carb that is on the E. Because then I guess it would hook up with no problems. You got me thinking. I like the way my S is now, this setup is even BETTER? I take it that the E intake cam opens the valves for a longer duration? What's the difference between this mod and that Yosh cam and ignition mod I've read about here.

The yosh cams are even more agressive than the stock E cams.The rev box adds an additional 1200 rpms to the rev ceiling.Most advise to upgrade the springs when using this combo.I dont know altering the valve train is usually asking for trouble on a four stroke I'm curious as to the reliability of this set up.

Originally posted by DR-ZEZ:

Is that the same carb that is on the E. Because then I guess it would hook up with no problems. You got me thinking. I like the way my S is now, this setup is even BETTER? I take it that the E intake cam opens the valves for a longer duration? What's the difference between this mod and that Yosh cam and ignition mod I've read about here.

To convert over to the FCR39 carb you need the intake manifold and the airbox boot off of the dirt only (kick start or E bike). The E or kick start cams are a drop in item. While you are at it change to the thinner base gasket. You will need to go through the valve adjustment procedure. That is easy to do with the head off while you swap base gaskets.

I have been running cams from Web Cam and also the Yoshimura cams. I run the Yoshimura cams in my trail bike. I have installed the Web Cam part #70-811 in a couple of friends bikes and that is a good cam also. It increases performance all over like the Yoshimura does. You don't really need to change valve springs but I did on my bike. I run the Yoshimura ignition module, they call it the hi-rev igniter box which lets the motor rev out a little more before it hits the rev limiter.

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: DRZDUC ]

The carb I put in I purchased from Carb Parts Warehouse. They were the only people that sold a bolt in "kit" for the DRZ400S. It is a Kehein FCR39mm carb, same brand and model type as on the E, but made to be adaptable onto any bike. I did not have to change my airbox, or intake manifold boot. I took out the old crappy S carb, put on the new carb, and wamo! Tons more power. One thing I should tell you though is that this carb did not have a place to mount the TPS, at first this worried me, but everyone kept saying to just disconnect the TPS. They were totally right! No TPS - no problem! To get the Kehein FCR39mm with TPS (the exact same carb as the E) from Suzuki it would have cost over $1000, I got mine for $489.

From what I've read the Yosh cams are more drastic than the E, and are designed to give more top end power, and the yosh ignition raises the rev limiter. I didn't want to push my engine too far (and didn't want to spend $600 on the Yosh stuff) so I got the E cam which give more power everywhere. I only purchased the intake cam as the exhaust cam is almost exactly the same on the E and S. The cam was $150 plus another $20 for gaskets.

While it was all apart I also put in thinner base gasket which raised my compression ratio to 12.2 and I polished my exhaust port on the head.

It rides better than I could have ever imagined! Highly recommended.

-matt

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: mnelson78 ]

Thanks Matt !!!!!! ?

All I wana do is put the carb on cause I realy don't want to pull the motor apart just yet :D too much on my plate as it is now.

Im heading state side today to SO CAL SanDeiago 2 weeks off work :D I will order up that carb when im down ther ..... And I am gona try to log on when I am in So Cal when I get that carb :D