has anyone tried dual sporting w/out a kit?

My DRZ/e came with a brake light and switch. So for Mass. street legal I just need to add high and low beam and turn signals. We can use a Marx brothers type horn. Baja designs kit is about $370. Seems like I should be able to get turn signals and high beam for less than that. Has anyone tried this? Also, if anyone has a DRZ/s turn signal switch for sale I would be interested.

thanks for your help.

You can order all the parts you need from Baja Designs.Call them they will help you decide what you need and only what you need.I had ordered the BD wire harness for my kicker.When they found out I had a horn,turn signals,and headlight already he called me back and said there was no need to spend the extra 100+ dollars on a harness.The handlebar switchpanel does it all and cost 65 bucks signals will be around 25 a set and a headlight around 75 bucks.They will walk you through what wires go to what a great company to deal with.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I live in North Carolina, and the hard part in this state is getting the title. The actual inspection is performed by a dealer, and if you get the right dealer, they tend to overlook small stuff, i.e.- DOT tires. I figure I need a brake light switch, a brake light of some sort (resistor mod using stock LED?), a hi/low beam switch wired into a dual filament bulb, and a mirror. NC doesn't require turn signals. I gotta believe there is a cheaper way to get these few pieces/parts then spending $300 - $400 on a BD kit.

Of course you have to be a bit creative. You have to figure out how to wire up the brake light switch and the hi/low switch yourself, but that is part of the fun.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris.d is your bike an 02 model E.

Could be easier to dualsport at the front end too!

Post below by Tom becket said this

Quote-all you uk riders buying the `02 e model, it comes with a dipping headlight at last, dont go out and buy an aftermarket light and junk the suzuki one, all you need to do is fit a switch and another connector to the light as the holder is already wired and comes with a twin filament bulb but the plug is only wired for a single filament bulb.

Originally posted by cetris:

[QB]I am thinking of doing the same thing. I live in North Carolina, and the hard part in this state is getting the title. The actual inspection is performed by a dealer...


I will be moving to NC sometime this year (living there part-time now) and I was told that it is VERY difficult to dual sport a bike that says "for off-road use only" or something similar on the MSO, even if you use a commercial kit like the Baja Designs. I was also told that the DMV must inspect the vehicle, that you have to make an appointment for someone to come out and see the bike, that the appointments get cancelled, etc. I think you know what I mean. I might be wrong, but perhaps you should double-check what need to be done before spending time and money on mods.

Mike OD

I dual sported my "E". I used UFO lights with turn sig built in. Looks cool, one neat package. I did the work myself and cost about $250. One thing I had to do is add a stiffener to the rear fender. That cost about $100. The plate is a different story.

Mike OD,

Yea, what you have heard about the NC DMV is true. I looked into it a couple of years ago when I was considering doing the dualsport thing with a KTM. I plan to go the Vermont route to get the title and plates, then just transfer the registration to NC when the Vermont registration expires.

Happy Holidays


My drz is a 2000, but I think I have the headlight figured. My light isn't the stock version, it is an Acerbis. It has two small round lights. I will run one light for low beam and both for high. Check out weekendtoy's post, the Baja Designs handlebar switch, which I believe controls: run,low and high beam, horn, and turn signals), is 65 bucks, that sounds reasonable. $50 for two sets of signals, $5-10 for a flasher, and $10 for wire and connectors. Sounds like under $150 for all. Fortunately, my bike came with a clean N.H. title which doesn't mention " dirt bike only" or "off road use only" so it's no problem at the Mass. registry.

thanks for everyone's help.

i am very lucky to live in tennesse when it comes to making my e a dual sport. all you have here is a headlight, a taillight-brakelight, and a mirror. it is only costing me 70.00 for the hydraulic switch and the acerbis t-b light.


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By BikeChimp
      I'd like to turn my UK 2004 DRZ400S back to stock airbox (snorkel) and jets, needle shim position etc
      When I bought it the PO had fitted a Sigma6 kit and done the 3x3 mod but is doesn't have a tapered needle like the JD and other kits. Took me ages to get it running right, however it still runs rich and I'm fed up of arsing around with it. 
      So I've bought a standard airbox without 3x3 hole, stock exhaust.
      Q1 The Suzuki manual says this Mukuni BSR36 (29FA) carb should have a 142.5 Main Jet but the Clymer manual say its a 135.  In UK everything's from sea level to 1000m. I'm in Sheffield so nothing gets above 500m even in the Peaks (Hills). Any UK owners or anyone else know what the correct jet should be?
      Q2 Says the original needle is a '5DH36-2nd'. The needle has 5 notches on it. Currently set at 2 clip from bottom. The Suzuki reference says needle is 5DH36-2nd, Does the 2nd bit mean 2nd from top or bottom?
      Q3 - Does anyone have a detailed photo of the shim order just in case it was assembled wrong. (mine is attached)
      I know most people on here are going to be horrified I'm taking back to stock but any help on above would be really appreciated.

    • By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

      -11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

      - stock gas tank and seat will be included

      The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .