Sign in to follow this  

SS valves backing out...

I know this is the internet, so opinions are like a__holes, everyone's got one, but let me just say you're scaring me.

I haven't had trouble with my valves yet, in fact I checked them last night, and they're still in-spec (bike new last fall) from factory. But being an anal freak like I am (and careful about my maintenence ) I went ahead last fall and pro-actively bought a full set of KW's...valves, springs, etc...paid good money too. I assumed I'd have them installed as soon as my valves went out of spec. But time has passed and mine still haven't come out of factory spec, so I'm still waiting. Also I just bought that valve adjust DVD (damn good product), and it looks so easy, I figure i'll adjust a few times before replacing.

Anyway, so fast forward to present and I'm reading some pretty negative comments on this board about the KW, and hearing you talk about this Ferrea product, which I've never heard of. I thought that the Kibble Whites were definatively the BEST product for valves. If I'm wrong, I've got plenty of time, I can re-sale my new-in-box KW kit and buy the Ferrea, but I'd like to really understand what is what here.

Can you or others break this down a bit more for me? I don't want to spend the coin for machine work, etc when I replace the valves, only to put something less than the best in there.

Also, your link is not valid, can you re-check and re-post it? I tried:

ronhampcycles.com and it doesn't pull up.

Thnx!

N

i also have good luck with the stock honda springs and valves in my bike ,

i have gotten over 450 hrs on my first 02 450, and this thing was beat,

i just did my poor junk beat up new bike at 200 hrs and i put the stock valves right back into the thing with new springs, :ride:

on most of my customers i will use the ferrea springs with stock valves and i have had great success.

if your valves are not moving i would not mess with it,

and if they do go,

i would use the ferrea springs on new stock valves :lol:

ron's number is 1-989-463-1267, you might try RHCycles , ( i am not very good with the net )

i will try and find it and i will post back :crazy:

ok , i found it in my favorites---i think its www.ronhamp.com :ride:

oh wow it turned blue , i guess it does that when you get an address correct ,

dam net ---it is odd :cheers:

I don't belive you would want too, the stock springs are weak , If i was putting money into buying valves always, always buy some good springs..

the stock springs are only marginally better than poking the valve through a marshmellow and throwing the retainer and keepers on there...

the stock springs are only marginally better than poking the valve through a marshmellow and throwing the retainer and keepers on there...

:crazy::ride::ride::lol::cheers::cheers:

I think you need to remove the head and take it back to the shop, keep an open mind and ask them to take it apart and see what is causing the adjustment to move. I do this same KW conversion on KTMs, about 50 of them out there and very satisfied with the results. Probubly 10 of those also have the KW spring kit and I consider both to be state of the art. The only other combo I am aware of for the Honda that I would put my name on is the Del West Ti valves that Pro Circut sells. I also use the Del West Ti valves on the 04 & newer Husky engines. Pricy but good stuff!

I talked to Steve at Cycle Dynamics (the place that did the job), he said to kep riding on them as-is, and if they move anymore to let him know and we'll go from there... Hope he stands behind his work - but even more I hope this is just a case of the valves "settling"!

BTW - Why doesnt Honda just fix this damn problem - seems like something thats been plaguing these otherwise wonderful bikes for some time now... Seems like Yamaha has it figured out...&%$#@!??

I just don't get the valve 'problem'. I'm on my 4th CRF-450, I ride hard and I put 250+ hours on each one. I've cracked frames, had oil migration, worn out clutch baskets, replaced leaky water pump seals, leaky countershaft seals, replaced steering head and wheel bearings and changed endless tires. I don't change my oil or air filter after every ride. I have yet to have one valve that needed to be adjusted even once. :crazy:

I just don't get the valve 'problem'. I'm on my 4th CRF-450, I ride the hard and I put 250+ hours on each one. I've cracked frames, had oil migration, worn out clutch baskets, replaced leaky water pump seals, leaky countershaft seals, replaced steering head and wheel bearings and changed endless tires. I don't change my oil or air filter after every ride. I have yet to have one valve need to be adjusted even once. :crazy:

Ditto! I have 2 CRF's an '04 and '05 and not one single valve issue. Not only that but I've never had to adjust them!! Most people want to bad mouth the stock setup all the time and they spend a bunch of hard earned cash on the KW setup with those expensive springs and end up having problems with them as well. Besides, the Honda springs are only $6/each, how much are the KW springs again????? And I hate to even ask how much the Ferrera ones cost!

Ditto! I have 2 CRF's an '04 and '05 and not one single valve issue. Not only that but I've never had to adjust them!! Most people want to bad mouth the stock setup all the time and they spend a bunch of hard earned cash on the KW setup with those expensive springs and end up having problems with them as well. Besides, the Honda springs are only $6/each, how much are the KW springs again????? And I hate to even ask how much the Ferrera ones cost!

OMG... did you just compliment CRF450 OEM springs while dissing aftermarket ones in the same post on this forum???

Are you nuts!!!!

I just don't get the valve 'problem'. I'm on my 4th CRF-450, I ride hard and I put 250+ hours on each one. I've cracked frames, had oil migration, worn out clutch baskets, replaced leaky water pump seals, leaky countershaft seals, replaced steering head and wheel bearings and changed endless tires. I don't change my oil or air filter after every ride. I have yet to have one valve that needed to be adjusted even once. :crazy:

That's damn awesome!! :ride:

So far, my valves are like yours, but I take crazy-good-care of my bike, religious about oil/air, etc...

I have no idea on hours, but I would guess ~70. Still in spec. But I've already invested in a full set of KW's (springs and valves), as well as a Hot Cam's Shim kit. So I'm going to just check them every 10-15 hrs, and re-shim a few times (if they ever need it), and if they become a chronic issue, then I've got the KW's new in thier little box on the shelf in the garage, standing by should they be called to duty.

At the rate I'm going, I may sell the bike before my valves need adjusting...

OMG... did you just compliment CRF450 OEM springs while dissing aftermarket ones in the same post on this forum???

Are you nuts!!!!

Nope, not nuts, just stating the facts! Let's see, 2 bikes, zero problems, no valve movement on either, why would I NOT compliment the OEM setup??

On the other hand, I've started to see several people post on TT who have migrated to the KW setup and spent lots of $$ in the process and now they are having problems as well. Granted alot who have moved to the KW setup have NOT had any problems so good for them.

If and when I do have valve issues, you can bet I'm going right back to the OEM setup, especially when it's worked so well for me and the parts are no where near the cost of the aftermarket solutions!

Nope, not nuts, just stating the facts! Let's see, 2 bikes, zero problems, no valve movement on either, why would I NOT compliment the OEM setup??

I was just jokin around... I am glad you have had good luck with the stock set-up!!!

It just seems to me like the stock CRF valve train gets sh*t on a lot around here. It is nice to hear someone stick up for the OEM stuff!!!

Anyone have the dimensions of the stock springs uncompressed? I've got something up my sleeve I want to try, but need the measurements.