First Valve adjustment-Tips?

Anybody have any tips on doing the valve adjustment on the DRZE? Mine will be due probably in a month or so based on hours of use.

Is it shim under bucket or screw type adjusters?

I don't have the service manuel, do I need it to do this job? Any valve compressors or other special tools needed?

I've done valves on almost everything but Desmo Ducati's (only cause I've never owned one) so don't expect it to be too hard.

Surprized I've never seen a post on the subject, do all you guys take your bikes to the dealer? ;-)Cheers and TIA for any advice.

Patrick ancient Super Senior B Enduro

I would like to know to.

Visit the Archives! It is shim under bucket and apparently the intake and exhaust on the right side are the ones you need to keep an eye on. For some reason that side tightens up! I will need to do mine soon also. I plan on getting the service manual. Checking is real easy. But to change you have to lift the cams. Hope this helps.

Have a fair amount of miles on my E and my S, and no adjustment has been necesssary. Dealer says he hasn't seen the need for any adjustment on any DRZ yet. The gap is easy to check so just keep your eye on it.

Pete

While you are in there check the cam-timing to see if it is correct from the factory. Are they advanced, retarded, or split over-lap. Let us know what you come up with? :)

Originally posted by Prof. Moriarty:

Anybody have any tips on doing the valve adjustment on the DRZE? Mine will be due probably in a month or so based on hours of use.

Is it shim under bucket or screw type adjusters?

I don't have the service manuel, do I need it to do this job? Any valve compressors or other special tools needed?

I've done valves on almost everything but Desmo Ducati's (only cause I've never owned one) so don't expect it to be too hard.

Surprized I've never seen a post on the subject, do all you guys take your bikes to the dealer? ;-)Cheers and TIA for any advice.

Patrick ancient Super Senior B Enduro

The valves are not that hard to adjust. You do need a good micrometer and feeler gauges. It is real easy to check the valves after you get the piston to TDC on compression stroke turning crank counter clockwise only. If you miss TDC don't turn back to it. Go on around again until you hit TDC.

If they are out you will need to pull the cam on the valve that is out of spec. either the intake or exhaust. Pull the shim with a magnet and measure the one that is out. Subtract or add to the shim you pulled to get the correct clearance and that will tell you what shim you need. The shims have numbers on the top or tappet side marked in mm. The shims come in increments of .002.

It is not hard once you get started. You mentioned Ducati Desmos, I have Ducati's and have (16) rockers to adjust with shims. Two rockers per valve (openers and closers). The DRZ is a snap compared to those.

If you have any questions e-mail me.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies, especially DRZDuc(you can tell us your name, really you can ;-)). I've done shim under bucket on my two Triumph Tigers a couple times so I feel pretty comfortable getting in there. I always keep a shim log. This really helps for future adjustments as you know the sizes of the shims that are in place and you know how far out you are

one way or the other and you can either shuffle shims around or buy the ones you need. Not to hard but you do need a Mic or denier calipers and some good feeler gauges.

Good to hear the Suzook seems to hold its adjustment well. Careful break-in may help in this area.

Cheers to all and have a great Holiday!

Patrick

CITY BIKE San Francisco

Prof. Moriarty you will not have any trouble with valve adjustment (if You need it). I get my shims from the Shim Factory in California. I get them for Ducati and Suzuki. There is no numbers but I measure them anyway and sand them to what I need. You are right in keeping a log on the shims. You can sometimes just swap shims around to get your valves into spec. The DRZ holds adjustment real well. I have heard on here "watch that intake valve" but I have not seen a big problem with any of the valves out of the ordinary. There was one 2001 DRZE that a friend has didn't run well at all and he had it to the dealer with less than 150 miles on it and he was told it was OK and needed to be broken in. I checked the valves and one exhaust valve was .000 clearance. It came that way from the factory. The only time I have had to adjust mine is when I change valves, cams and etc.

Anyway good luck

Shim Factory (559)683-6523

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: DRZDUC ]