Sierra Club Handbook

The Sierra Club has published the Handbook for Regulation of Use of Off-Road Motor Vehicles, which outlines methods to reduce off-road motorized recreation. Them granola crunchers even have a "handbook" outlining how to reduce or completely eliminate off-road vehicle travel. If you read just the first paragraph you'll be shocked :)

Here's a sample from their self-proclaimed "fact sheet":

NOISE: Under the best of conditions, as in a forest, the noise from the average motorcycle can be heard more than a half-mile away, and a loud one, over two miles away. A motorcyclist traveling 72 miles, audible for a mile on either side of the route of travel extends an audible presence into 130 square miles. ORV riding preempts and drives out the activities that are quieter, less consumptive and more contemplative. The same 130 square miles used by one dirt biker could have been enjoyed by 150 hikers, birders or photographers with few encounters or knowledge of another's proximal presence. Some of life's functions are dependent on quietness. Animals and birds depend on quietness to find their mates, and protect themselves from attack. It is known that the pileated woodpecker, the broad-winged hawk, Cooper's hawk, sharp shinned hawk, great horned owl, and barred owl are very sensitive to sound disturbances. The noise level generated by a single motorcycle is approximately 10,000,000 times greater than that experienced by a person in a quiet suburban rqesidential area. The fact is that most ORV noise is unnecessary; even motorcycles can be muffled to a relatively unobjectionable noise level.

http://idaho.sierraclub.org/orv/index.html#fact

As usual their diatribes are slanted to meet their needs and wants. The only part I agree with is the part about bikes being made quieter. The bunch I ride with, since most of our riding is in a semi urban setting, HATE loud bikes and in fact ban them from most of our rides. Stealth is the answer when you are 100 yards from some million dollar homes and they never knew you were there.

Worst of it is some idots will believe the rubbish that they make up like that 130 square miles used by one bike can be used by 150 hikers

Where do you suppose they found those figures??

Hey when you think of it we are probably saving the spotted woodpecker by keeping this vast army of hikers out of the woods :)

Imagine all the ground trampled be there hiking boots, i think we should start a coalition to ban hiking boots :D

Originally posted by ColoradoDRZ:

The noise level generated by a single motorcycle is approximately 10,000,000 times greater than that experienced by a person in a quiet suburban rqesidential area. The fact is that most ORV noise is unnecessary; even motorcycles can be muffled to a relatively unobjectionable noise level.

Wow! What a coincidence, my DRZ400S Owner's Manual reads: "The stupidity level of the average Sierra Club Member is approximatley 10,000,000 greater than the average person in a quiet suburban residential area. The fact is that most SCM stupidity is unnecessary, even Sierra Club Members can be re-educated to a relatively unobjectionable intelligence level." :)

To Hell with the jerkoffs! If they don't want to share the land we can rumble for it.

Sad thing about it is that more people than you think are Sierra Club members!

At a neigbors house the other night, dicussion came up about the OHV noise issue and while he agreed with me about not limiting the land for peoples enjoyment, he said he WAS a Sierra Club member. While he doesn't ride dirt bikes, he enjoys exploring trails in his SUV. When I told him that the SIerra Club wants to shut down all trails to any form of motorized vehicles, he didn't believe me. THEY ARE FOOLING THERE OWN MEMBERS. IT"S ONE BIG SCAM! BUT, there very effective at raising money!

This bit is funny though

"Animals and birds depend on quietness to find their mates, and protect themselves from attack. It is known that the pileated woodpecker, the broad-winged hawk, Cooper's hawk, sharp shinned hawk, great horned owl, and barred owl are very sensitive to sound disturbances." unquote

When they find their mates how are they going to breed with all those 150 spotty oiks sneaking up on em and watching them huh?..

The lesser spotted peckerheads :):D

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: dendrz ]

boy! just the other day i was doing 72 miles an hour on a single track trail up in the mountains. i was flying. yeah right.we were riding in the snow and my freinds son got stuck. i stopped not more than 150 yards away and around a few corners and could not even hear them. join the blue ribbon coalition and fight the sierra club idiots.

Take a look at this crap!

"AIR: ORVs were exempted from EPA requirements established under the original Clean Air Act. In addition to emissions of greenhouse gasses, ORVs can emit quantities of lead into the environment. Dust storms originating in ORV use areas have been detected by satellite observation. The Barstow to Los Vegas ORV race in 1974 generated more than 600 tons of airborne particles by direct mechanical erosion." :)

Dust storms originating in an ORV area would have to be a cause of nature, not the use of ORV's. My New Years Resolution: I'm going to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition, Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition(COHVCO), AMA, AND the Northwest Motorcycle Association(NMA). And then I'm going to participate more often on trail work parties and be more involved. Who's with me?

******* hipys :)

Here's something for the Peckerheads of the Sierra Club;

Yellow bird with speckled bill...

Perched upon my window sill...

I persuaded him in with bits of bread...

And then I smashed his ******* head. :)

This is how they think we are anyways. I actually care a great deal about our natural environment, probably more so then the peckerheads. What ever happened to the words; "This land is your land, this land is my land, from Califronia, to NY island".

:D

myself I didn't smash the bird, or lure him in, more so I just brought him into the sights of my pellet gun and hit the trigger.

:)

**** em all!

Woodpeckers, owls, and hawks are delicious with a little teryaki or barbeque sauce.

Woodpeckers, owls, and hawks are delicious with a little teryaki or barbeque sauce.