Sign in to follow this  

XR 350 starting drill. What's yours?

So I picked up an 85 XR 350, cleaned out the carb & got her running. I still have not found the right formula that gets her started easily when cold.

What's your secret? I've tried various combinations of choke position, throttle position, bringing it up to TDC, kicking it smooth, jabbing at it, etc. Eventually it light off, but by now it has been flooded by the previous attempts. Once warmed up, it starts pretty easily. BTW It seems that the compression release is virtually useless. Do you even bother using it?

Put the choke lever in full choke position. Pull in the compression release, open the throttle, and kick the engine through 3-4 times. Close the throttle, let go of the compression release, bring the piston up on compression, push the piston about halfway through it's stroke, bring the kickstarter back to the top and give it a healthy boot, don't open the throttle. I had two '85 XR350s back in the late '80s, this procedure worked for me.

Thanks, sounds good.

Put the choke lever in full choke position. Pull in the compression release, open the throttle, and kick the engine through 3-4 times. Close the throttle, let go of the compression release, bring the piston up on compression, push the piston about halfway through it's stroke, bring the kickstarter back to the top and give it a healthy boot, don't open the throttle. I had two '85 XR350s back in the late '80s, this procedure worked for me.

This is the key. Turn the idle screw up just a tad first and be ready to flip the choke to the halfway, or off position once it's running and starts to sputter.

396, do you mind saying what you paid for the bike and what kind of shape it's in? I'm always on the lookout for these bikes and see them from time to time. Currently there's a beauty for sale that's CA dual-sported but the guy wants 1800 for it! I'm thinking that's way high, but who knows? He originally was asking 2200.

On my fully modified 83 XR350 I turn on the gas, put choke at full on and on 2nd kick it is running. After 2 min of idle with choke on, move choke to full off. It is the best starting bike I have ever had. When it is hot, I just crack the throttle at the bottom of the kick, starts 1st time.

Campisi,

I scored on this one. I got it at a police auction for $100.00 :crazy:

She's in pretty good shape except for a broken shift shaft. I got one on ebay, & am waiting for a manual. I'm undecided what to do with the bike. I might use it for a play bike, & keep the DR650 for a commuter, or fix it up a bit & sell it.

This works on my 85. Full choke, bring it to tdc and then slowly kick to the second compression spot, and kick once, then go to 1/2 choke and slightly crack the throttle and kick from the second compression spot.