Sign in to follow this  

Trade up to a DRZ??

I have a 1997 DR350se that I bought as a second bike a couple of years ago. I found I ride this more than the street bike, so now it's my only bike. I have been eyeing the DRZ400s since I bought this old DR figuring it's a nice upgrade. IS there any appreciable difference in the bikes. Is it worth doing assuming the DR runs fine now?

Thanks!

I have a 1997 DR350se that I bought as a second bike a couple of years ago. I found I ride this more than the street bike, so now it's my only bike. I have been eyeing the DRZ400s since I bought this old DR figuring it's a nice upgrade. IS there any appreciable difference in the bikes. Is it worth doing assuming the DR runs fine now?

Thanks!

I don't even think there is any comparision. Liquid cooled, HP in the DR650cc zone, way better suspension. It's definitely an upgrade.

The DRZ is a way better bike for riding fast offroad.

The DR is a better highway bike because of the 6 speed transmission.

The DR may be a better bike for slow offroad riding especially if you are on the short side.

The DR is more reliable if you ride it every day.

The DRZ can be a legitimate race bike especially if you like to ride whoops and moderate jumps.

I don't even think there is any comparision. Liquid cooled, HP in the DR650cc zone, way better suspension. It's definitely an upgrade.

It looks to me that the DR and DRZ have the same forks and I suspect the shock would be the same. I base my comparison on the street model.

I went from a DR350 Off-Road to a DR-Z400E and although I havent ridden the Z yet I can tell you the suspension is MUCH beefier on the Z not to mention the increased fork/ shock diameters and more modern components. I absolutely loved my DR, in my mind it is still the absolute best trail bike out there, it is extremely reliable, bulletproof and very easy to wrench on. I only got rid of it and moved on to the DR-Z due to a battle with cancer that has inhibited the use of my clutch hand and I needed a bike that I could put a Rekluse in. My DR350 was heavily modified, respecially in the suspension department, so I know it would grossly outperform an Off-Road model let alone an S model DR but most likely not as good as the DR-Z. Some drawbacks I can already see on the DR-Z is the paper thin side cases and the liquid cooling (just a matter of time before the radiators get accordioned), however, there is a TON of support out there for the DR-Z. I loved my DR and hated to see it go but I'm sure I made a great choice in the DR-Z400 as a replacement. By the way, I just titled it for street use here in MI :crazy: -Steve

Want to see a killer looking DR ?

suzuki-dr650-03-bikepics-093922.jpg

Or Yellow one.....

suzuki-dr650-03-bikepics-183730.jpg

Nice blue DRZ;;;;

suzuki-drz400-05-bikepics-490990.jpg

But I have read over and over...

The DRZ400 is a DIRT bike that goes on the STREET...

The DR650 is a Street bike that goes in the DIRT....

I have the 2005 DR650 and have had it off road several times....

It's a Kenworth on a dirt trail...It will trench a ditch with power....Bust a nut picken' it up...

Got a buddy with a DRZ400 and...

It's a feather-weight on the highway... fast enough but can get blown away by trucks..

So AXE yourself,, Where am I gonna ride,, street,,, trails ????And a little of the other one..

I had a DR350 for a few seasons and now have an 04 DRZ 400. No comparison off-road and on gravel roads; the DRZ's suspension and geometry is definitely an upgrade.

On pavement? They both ride like dirt bikes.

In any case, the DRZ is definitely an upgrade.

there is not that much of a weight diff. between the dr650 and the drz.they are both 300# bikes. but yeah the drz is better off road. i would like to have the adjustable suspension on my dr650

It looks to me that the DR and DRZ have the same forks and I suspect the shock would be the same. I base my comparison on the street model.

Not even close. The DR has 43mm tubes and the DRZ is using 49mm. They are huge and will not flex like the old school tubes. All the internals are much better at everything including the shock.

Not even close. The DR has 43mm tubes and the DRZ is using 49mm. They are huge and will not flex like the old school tubes. All the internals are much better at everything including the shock.

Is that the DRZ :crazy:

Seems a bit more complacted to do mantance but it has a rep as a better dirt bike.. The DR650 is sooooooo heavy,, It will jump but comes down like a ton of bricks,, not some thing you can expect to race! It takes a moment (for me) to re-gain the riding compusure to continue down the track..DRZ don't think it is as bad,,,must be a suspension thing????

If you want to be a MX star go RM if you like to ride on the street/trail DRs.

I personally like the John Deer power of the 650cc but struggle gettin' it unstuck from the mud hole... :ride: