EKP needle really helps.

I put on a FMF IV S/A pipe a few weeks ago and had to retrain myself on the way I came out of corners, it provided a really nice increase throughout the power band. Then I decided to put in the EKP ( Yamaha P/N 5JG-14916-EP) needle. Man, what a difference. I did my normal acceleration to the first curve and realized I was going way too fast. I was wondering what the hell was doing wrong until I remembered that I had put in the new needle. It took a number of brake slides to learn to roll on the power with a lighter touch. For and $18 mod, I highly recommend it.

What other modifications have you made? Jetting? Air Box? and at what altitude are you riding? I am trying to decide if this is an improvement over raising the stock needle. Thanks for your input! Ride Hard! :)

I run Uni air filter, snorkel removed, ignition box moved off the top of the air box, 160 main, 3 turns out on the fuel screw, stock pilot, stock air jet. According to FMF, I needed to raise the stock needle all the way to the last clip. Maybe it would have accomplished the same thing, I don't know. But there were a couple of good posts dating back to Aug. I live in Boulder Co, and typicaly ride from 5500 to 8000 ft, but occasionally go much higher. I am a little hesitant go any richer, because of the altitude. I may try the next size up on the slow jet so I don't have have the fuel screw out so far.

Originally posted by Jim65:

I run Uni air filter, snorkel removed, ignition box moved off the top of the air box, 160 main, 3 turns out on the fuel screw, stock pilot, stock air jet. According to FMF, I needed to raise the stock needle all the way to the last clip. Maybe it would have accomplished the same thing, I don't know. But there were a couple of good posts dating back to Aug. I live in Boulder Co, and typicaly ride from 5500 to 8000 ft, but occasionally go much higher. I am a little hesitant go any richer, because of the altitude. I may try the next size up on the slow jet so I don't have have the fuel screw out so far.

I highly recommend a #48 pilot, but maybe even a #50. Hotler runs a 50 and I run the 48, both of us have stock exhaust. As far as I know, he rides mostly in the Rampart Range trail system which is only slightly lower from where I ride above Woodland Park/Divide so apparently he can get away with the 50. However, I think you'll find the 48 to be just fine, even w/ the FMF pipe. Start there first and then go to a 50 if you feel it's necessary. Lets see about hooking up for a ride this summer. Better yet, lets get all the Colorado DRZ riders together! Good Luck! :)

What notch did you run it on? I am guessing that this needle has notches also.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: RiDe101 ]

Amen to the EKP needle. It rocks. Also, it is noteworthy the CRF450 comes with the EKP needle/175 MJ in its 40mm FCR. Come on you other DRZ riders... you're missing out on a good thing!! :)

Originally posted by ballistic:

Come on you other DRZ riders... you're missing out on a good thing!! :D

I'm not convinced it would do me any good for my altitude. I think it would be too much fuel. Anyone know for sure? :)

I live in Miami, FL. Practically sea level. Would any of this stuff do me any good? Would I jet my bike differently because of the low altitude if I were to change the exhaust?

I am running the clip 3rd from the bottom for the EKP. But the clip position is probably more of a function of the pipe, air filter, and air box opening. FMF's suggestion was to run the clip, for the stock needle, all the way at the lowest positon, ( highest the needle can be raised). The position I have it in now was somewhat of a swag, given the altitude (5500+) and temp I'm running at. As far as gas milage, I am guessing a little over 70 mpg for the tank, and that would be for track and trail riding. But then again I am only making these changes because it is hare scramble's season in Colorado and I was looking for a bit more acceleration coming out of the turns and a better pull at the start.