Sign in to follow this  

Jumps??

I was just wondering. I am new to the motocross scene and have ridden alot on tracks and just am having trouble with jumps. I think it's mostly just getting the balls to do them. But my main concern is not clearing the jump its over shooting. I see alot of Pro's that seem to land there bikes perfect everytime not over landing to another jump. Any tips

good question, but unfortunately motocross involves skill and with that skill comes timing control. Youll develope it slowly

Really, depending on the size, you can overshoot them and you will land just fine. I have overshot on smaller jumps and I don't even notice them. And really you just don't have to think about WHAT can happen, you just have to watch other people do it. And don't be afraid to ask the other riders what gear they are hitting it in.

also, depending on what is right after the jump, landing on the gas helps with over jumping. Technically you should be landing on the gas over all jumps anyways pretty much.

I have the same problem w/ overshooting. I think it is because I get so scared of coming up short that I hit it a little harder than I should. I took a pretty good spill today as a result. My problem was trying to land on the gas and putting a little too much into that. The bike shot out from under me.

Where do you guys put your weight for the landing in a situation like that?

The best thing to do is just start on small doubles. If you have a bike that's actually made to be jumped (not a trail bike), over-jumping small doubles isn't going to be much of a problem even though it won't be as smooth as landing on the downslope.

Finding the exact speed is just trial and error when you're first starting to do doubles, and that's why you need to start small and work up. You can try jumping off the first jump a little bit, and once you get to where your front tire is landing at the bottom of the second jump, you should have a decent idea of how much speed you need to make it over the peak of the second jump.

Once you get more experienced, you basically develop a "feel" for when you have the proper speed to make it over a jump. Also, more experienced riders will often follow another rider who's doing the jump, match their speed and use their same technique (preloading, seat-bouncing, etc) to do the jump the first time.

Watch some at the track that is clearing jumps, and looks like a decnt rider. Follow behind him, and if you are comfortable enough try to hit the stuff he hits. Good Luck