new bike

Just got an 06. So far I have put about 5 hours on it and I am trying to do everything I can to extend the engine life. I ran it for a bit then dumped the oil and put in a non synthetic, changed it three times for the first tank of gas and switched to synthetic with a new filter. Then finnaly, got to open her up and see what she could do. Before my next ride I will change the transmission oil and check the valves.

What new trans oil do you recommend? What else should I be looking at engine wise?

BTW if my memory serves correct, the manual states I should replace the piston and rings every 6 races or 15 hours. It also states that I should reassemble my front end after my first ride to clean out any contaminants. This seems a bit crazy to me, I mean I am not K-dub or anything, I am not at the level of worrying about every micro-second of lap time. However, If it is necessary to secure the longevity of my machine I will do what I have to do. Any thoughts?

Change your motor oil and tranny oil every 3 hours of riding. Use motor oil (10-W40) in motor and gear oil (80 wtd) in tranny. Clean air filter often. Piston and rings should last a year. Fork oil should be changed a couple times a year. Check valves for gap a few times a year. Lube swingarm, shock linkage, axles and steering head when you buy the bike and once a year thereafter.

I have been using Motol trans oil. The clutch has lasted over 2 years with no problem. On the engine I have been using Mobil 1. i am going to switch th Maxim oil. Piston replacement Just do it when You feel like. Hope you enjoy your new ride. :crazy: