Sign in to follow this  

Small motard for street?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a small bike for tooling around town. It seems other than the Ninja250/500, nobody makes a small, sporty bike except for the few dual-sports and the DRZ400SM. I'm not interested in a standard/cruiser. And, not real interested in a bike larger than 500cc (I want high mpg, lower insurance, etc).

Can anybody tell me if any of them have aftermarket tanks available? Only the DR200SE seems to have a usable sized tank (3 gallons). The XT225 is 2.3 and the KLX250S is 1.9 (yikes, that's tiny). Even the DRZ400 has only 2.6 gallons.

And can somebody ballpark the cost of getting wheels built? I'd probably use the stock hubs, relaced with new rims on both ends, and some decent tires.

Thanks.

Clarke and IMS both make larger tanks for the Suzuki DRZ 400 (3.9 & 3.2gal.). There are larger tanks available... I have the DRZ 400 S and have been thrilled with everything about it since day one. It has a strong and happy following. Also check out the "Suzuki- DRZ" forum for general info. It has enough power and speed to have fun, but not too much to get into real trouble- not to mention I can go ANYwhere. :crazy: Let me know if you have any specific ?'s about this bike.

I have a WR400F so I'm biased. Street legalize it and get your suspension supermoto-ed and whatever else you want. Cheap insurance, 3.1 gallon tank stock, good gas mileage (not that I care), and tons of fun. Supermoto wheels will be around $1500.00

And can somebody ballpark the cost of getting wheels built?

We build lots of wheels.

To have new 17s laced to your stock hubs you are looking at around $700.

If you want complete wheels (so you can keep the stockers)

figure $1000 to $1300 depending on what bike you end up with.

We build lots of wheels.

To have new 17s laced to your stock hubs you are looking at around $700.

If you want complete wheels (so you can keep the stockers)

figure $1000 to $1300 depending on what bike you end up with.

Jeff is the best.....Great to work with and very fast turn around time. He even helps you through purchasing mistakes!!! :ride: Tell him what you need and he'll get you going ASAP.

I'll recommend him any day of the week!!! :crazy:

if you want to save money i'd do a used DR350 over any 200 class. they are dirt cheap these days and are still totally fun bikes. my friend has one with just dual sport tires and it's a blast to ride. my wife has a kawasaki super sherpa 250 and it seems with the smaller bikes you're a bit limited on what you can do for motarding. i think a 120 or something is about the largest you'll get for a back tire and that that point you might as well keep it with stock rims

if you got the money and don't want to dork around getting wheels etc, then definitely consider the drz400, it gets good milage in stock trim and there is a huge aftermarket for them. believe me when i tell you motarding a bike can get spendy very fast.

that's my 2 pesos

And if you go for the DR350 option, or any dual sport option for that matter, you don't NEED to do the 17 inc tire deal. There's some seriously sticky and nice handling street rubber that fits the stock rims these days. And excellent brakes are only a Supermoto rotor and bracket kit away.

For longer commutes a Corbin or other wider saddle would be a superb idea.

Go and have a look at 'My Garage'. My sons Yamaha TT250R Motard is there.

OE hubs with DR800 rear wheel rims. A 110 on the front and a 150 on the back. The rear looks bigger because we screwed up on the profile when we ordered the tires. The rear is now sha#ged so the replacement will be a 140/60/17. The bike is a hoot and the 'Chicken Strips' are down to 5mm and he claims to be able to get the pegs down........ I've given up watching, I'm his Dad so I worry........

:crazy: