Sign in to follow this  

Old Yeller ---DRZ, time to retire

I currently ride a 2001 DRZ 400 with a bunch of goodies on it; triple clamps, front and rear springs, bars, pipe, etc. I really like the tractability of the machine and the ease of which it is to ride. I live in a mountainous area and we're never on flat ground. Lots of single track, Mountain bike trails, rock and root laden hills and an occasional sandy climb. My bike works great in the tight stuff where I can just "fart" my way through it, however the bike is just plain heavy. I put an hour on a 06 crf 450 last night and was amazed at the power and light weight, however found it a much harder and unforgiving bike to ride. I found it almost too responsive. Loved the suspension and brakes, but found I was chugging a lot, and when I did get on the pipe, it was a real handful in the tight stuff. I'm also a little short-legged, yet large arsed--225 lbs. Kick-starts are a real pain for me. Would a new CRF 250x have as much grunt as my old DR or should I be looking in the CRF450x area, or perhaps a 450exc? I'm a fan of the 450x however budget is a concern, and the Katooms have been around for a few years. What do you guys think?

Well, if you want the closest thing to the drz but without the weight, a KTM 400 EXC would be the best bet.

If you like the tractability of the DRZ don't go with a 250f. I only weigh 140 and still miss the power of my DRZ. I don't miss the weight though!

I learned on thumpers so I'm not that good at fanning the clutch, which is what I guess I have to do to make it up a couple hills. One particular hill I made the first time on my DRZ, 4 other bikes did not make it after several attempts.

I tried it again on my 250f on two occasions, multiple attempts and still haven't made it. Oh and my DRZ's tire was mostly bald - 1/4" tread remaining... :ride:

You can always tame the 450f down some with a flywheel weight!

Just my .02 :crazy:

sounds like one of the 450 trail bikes are the bike for you. wr450, crf450x, 450exc, 400exc (was named top bike out of this group) and possibly a 450xc if you want a bit more snap in the motor and a lighter bike, also just named bike of the year by dirt rider.

I have a DRZ "S" and a KTM 525.

I can ride the DRZ for hours.

The KTM beats me up in half the time.

Sure the 525 is exciting to ride , instant wheel spin, way more power,better suspension , lighter.But it's not a more comfortable ride.

My DRZ doesn't like three things:

Sand , whoops and being dropped.Those are the only areas where the KTM out shines my Z. IMHO. :crazy:

If you are not in need of a top end buy a 250 and put the athena 290 in it. Light weight and low end grunt/power. If you need your top end, get a good port and valve job done.

Jeff (from DRZ-400E to WR250F soon to be 290F)