air filter question?

i would opt to clean too often as opposed to too seldom. i like to have extra air filters so i don't have to clean one at the last minute before a ride.

on my street only e/sm, i haven't gone any longer than 500 miles.

i don't go much more than 50 miles, or one ride in off road conditions.

a quick visual should tell you all you need to know.

my bike has 750 miles on it. i'm gonna switch to synthetic at a grand. i'm gonna change my oil every thousand miles after i switch to synthetic. would every 1000 miles with 90/10 riding for the air filter be alright? :crazy:

i just want to clean it every oil change (1000 miles). was just wondering on a 90/10 street/dirt road dirt riding style if the air filter could go that long before servicing. thanks

If you ride off road, cleaning the air filter by mileage is a BAD IDEA! 25 miles off road can be a totally clogged filter. Of course you can tell since the bike don't run so good.

:crazy: Just pop the cover and do a 'visual inspection' as stated.

visual like eddie says is the best way. My sm has 1200 miles on it now and is still as clean as the first day I brought it home. The only thing I have done to it so far was reoil it when I brought it home. On the other hand one day at a dusty motocross track and my filter is pretty much junk. I'd say atleast do it once every 6 months or so, because the oil will lose it's stickiness over time.