Sign in to follow this  

xr80 wont start?

well i have been tring to get this thing going again so that i could sell it, but i haven't had any luck so far. i have cleaned the carb atleast 20 times, the airfliter is brand new, as well as the spark plug. it is getting spark and fuel, and it has compression. so it has everything it needs but i still cant get it to fire, is it posible that the ignition timing is off? thanks.

How long did it sit up? Did you replace the gas that was in it if it sat up more than 2-3months? How do you know it has enough compression? Did you use a gauge or what?

i changed the gas out with some fresh stuff, it has been sitting for atleast a year, maybe a year and a half. and it is an 02 so i think it hac a cdi... i really dont know much about these bikes lol.

WHen you clean the carb, you need to pull (unscrew) the pilot out and blow compressed air through it. Make sure you can see through before you re-install it. Blow the main out while you at it.

I used to have a xr80. but i stept it up a bit by going into a cr85. Make sure you have new gas and the choke is on.I feel sorry for you :crazy:

Try another new spark plug. These bikes are notorius for fouling out spark plugs in a matter of seconds even a new one. My bike is so tempermental about spark plugs. It will run great and I will shut it off and try to start it the next day and it wont start until I change the plug.

My honda's love to foul plugs too. I pull the plug, hit'em for a couple 30 seconds with a propane torch, pop 'em back in hot and they work fine. Cheaper than buying new ones all the time... :ride:

Still it sounds like you pilot jet is clogged or partially clogged. I can't remember, but I think that jet has some side (emulsion) holes too? Last time I had problems like you describe, I cleaned the carb a bunch of times before I found every last passage that I was missing before. :crazy:

Have you tried bump-starting it yet? Put it in thrid gear and have someone push you around the block. Will it fire then?

i can honestly say that i have changed the plugs at least 10 times, i am going to clean the carb one more time just to make sure, but so far there has not been one clogged jet or any blocked holes. after awhile of tring to kick it over it does sometime flood though so i know it is getting gas. i have also tried using starter fluid but i cannot get the dang thing to fire.

i have tried bump starting and have had no luck every now and then though after i push for at least 200 feet it does start to pop a little and then just stop making noise all together. this thing has me stumped.

thank for the ideas so far though guys, i appreciate all of the help.

I know you said that it's getting spark, but how is it? Is it really weak? Try unplugging the kill switch.

if you mean the key, then yeah it is unpluged and it has a beautiful blue spark... i know... its weird