Sign in to follow this  

just got the pipe on

FINALLY :crazy:

its pretty loud but not to bad, it sounds really good and gave a nice bit of power, BUT heres the thing, i'm running stock jetting. its only +11C out and raining, so it would be running pretty lean with stock pipe on, with this pipe it seemed to run ok, i think on the rich side :lol: i let off in 5th and it popped a little, just as much as it did at about 25C with the stocker on, so i think its ok. but once it warms up it will be rich, SO i'm gonna try the specs recommened by 97chevy, thanks again man :ride:

but heres my question, how can i tell that its lean or rich? without pulling the plug. :cheers:

like i said it was popping like it would with the stocker but i'll be running in alot warmer conditions. so i'm going to have to experiment :ride:

thanks for reading

You're mainly listening for that popping on decel. excessive pop means you are lean, no pop/ doggy means you are rich.

ok thanks :crazy:

would it mean i'm rich in the mid range if i go about 1/2 throttle and then let off and it pops or would popping be an overall lean condition?

i think it would be over all lean in the pilot. It has to do with throttle positioning...popping on decel could be a lot of things BUT a lean pilot jet will cause the popping most of the time. think of it this way,the main jet is for 3/4 to wide open it plays no part in the lower throttle ranges this is where your needle and pilot come in.the pilot is from 0 throttle to about a 1/4, at zero(decel) the popping starts and you should try backing the fuel screw out in 1/8 turn increments.

Go into 3rd gear get to the mid then let you're bike decel. If it starts popping adjust the throttle screw. Make it richer and then see if it still pops when decel. I did the same thing with my bike when I put on my AL PRO.

I had a similar problem when I put my WB system on. I ended up adjusting the needle clip (JD) and fuel screw to resolve the problem. I even think I moved one size on the main.

Jeff

You're mainly listening for that popping on decel. excessive pop means you are lean, no pop/ doggy means you are rich.

No popping on decel means a rich condition?? My bike doesnt pop at all on decel..

Also, should it be popping on every circuit or every amount of throttle when you let go of the throttle?

should i adjust the main and pilot together, kind of as a set, or separat?

would 172MJ and 42 PJ be too lean or should that be close? i'm not doughting you 97chevy

hey skinhead, which way did you move on the MJ, rich or lean?

thanks

Funnily enough I went from a 175 to a 178 on the main and moved the clip up one position (friends thought I needed to go the other way). That seemed to tune it just right, except the usual ritual of tuning the fuel screw when I go riding. But I am at about 4100' ASL.

Jeff

Whitey...

You ever ride in the "mills" and are they anything realistically resembling Manitoba Mills from ATV Offroad Fury (2)??

:crazy::ride:

I was wondering.. :ride:

First off get a #40 leak jet. The stocker will cause a bog down low.

second up the pilot to a 45

The main should be 178 +/- one size from there.

Then play with the needle. I went with the JD blue on my 05 with the pipe and it worked out great. Try dropping the clip position one and see if that helps.

I agree with Matt96..... I just put on a Pro circuit T4 and went from the stock MJ 42 to a #45 and Pilot #178

I'm not sure the purpose of the leak jet, and " dropping the clip position " I could usae some educating...... I am used to my old XT200 with the screw on cap carb.....

i don't think it will be nessary to drop the needle(which raises the throttle body? or whatever you refere to it as) i don't have a jd jet kit so i'm not sure if my bike would be the same as yours was.

i will be changing the LJ, MJ and PJ, and i'll see how it goes, thanks :crazy:

Whitey...

You ever ride in the "mills" and are they anything realistically resembling Manitoba Mills from ATV Offroad Fury (2)??

:ride::cheers:

I was wondering.. :ride:

ya i go thee all the time, it accually exists :lol: and it is unreal. the days aren't long enough when you ride there. you should come visit me and we'll go for a rip :crazy: