Why am I always powersliding?

Seems that whenever I go out, I am always lighting up the back tire in the turns( not saying I'm skilled at it, just loosing traction). I have a fairly good back tire with some life left, but other than buying a new one, is there anything I can do to my bike or style that will help me out?

It doesn't really seem to matter what bike I'm on, but man I eat up tires :crazy:

Move your butt over towards the top of the bike when it's leaned over. This helps you put more weight on the outside peg, and should help along with some of the other things mentioned above.

Seems that whenever I go out, I am always lighting up the back tire in the turns( not saying I'm skilled at it, just loosing traction). I have a fairly good back tire with some life left, but other than buying a new one, is there anything I can do to my bike or style that will help me out?

It doesn't really seem to matter what bike I'm on, but man I eat up tires :crazy:

I don't think there's anything wrong with powersliding corners. That's just what happens when you're going fast.

I never really noticed it that much when riding/racing, but in a race a few weeks ago (harescramble), I was duking it out with this guy (kid actually, friggin's hauls and he's only 15), and I was right on his rear wheel...I was blown away at how much he was sliding all turns, usually both wheels...it actually looked scary how fast he appeared to be going...I never "feel" that way myself, but obviously if I was right on him, then I was doing the same thing.

So in general, sounds like you're doing good and riding fast. Sliding through corners is what's required to go fast. Just keep it pinned, sounds like you're doing fine.

If you are running a good tire? Most likely it is your tire pressure being to high. I run between 9 and 14 PSI depending on the terrain. The only reason I run 13-14 is when it is rocky to minimize the risk of flats. But I prefer between 9-11 PSI. For example I was running 14 at the track last Suday (sometimes there are some big rocks that come up through at this track),, and I could not hold the bends at all. I dropped to 11 and it was like a new bike.

I found that a good tire makes all the difference. I was fun running corners like I was on a dirt tracker but but you can go a heck of a lot quicker through the corners with a good tire that's hooked up rather than on a greasy rear looking cool.

There is nothing wrong with sliding tires when riding.

I have always understood that going faster is just not falling at something that you used to fall from.

For example, when you first started riding you probably fell when your front tire slipped or when your back tire let go. Now your postion on the bike is better, your reactions are better and you now understand when you need to worry.

Controlled sliding of the front tire while turning requires skill and practice. Don't quit sliding the tires, get better at it.

Tires wear out because you use them. Wear them out. :crazy::ride: