Sign in to follow this  

Setting up Suspension

Hi all

Well its been quite awhile since I have posted anything. I Finlay got myself a real bike, I just purchased a 2004 Yz250f. This thing is in awsome shape :crazy: (only ridin for about 5hrs). My friend and I took his cr250 out to my mechanics place to get some work do on his Honda and i asked my mechanic buddy if he knew of any bike for sale, he replied he was selling his 04 Yz250f. Let me tell you at being at the right place at the right time........I bought the thing on the spot!

My question is how do I set-up the suspension? Preload, Front forks....I have never really takin the time to do this on my other bikes and people tell me it can make a world of difference? Can anyone help me on a reference to a web-site or a link on TT?

Thxs for your help......

I'll post pics tomorrow.

take it to a reputable susp shop. give them your weight height etc. they might need to change the spring rates. they'll set the sag. new fork oil etc. i dont know much about susp but i'm pretty sure thats what they do :crazy:

Call a susp shop and they will tell you the general settings that will get real close in the ball park. Yes you may need new springs to get the full use. But for starters they will help you get close. I called Factory Connection and they were excellent at helping me. I went ahead and got springs and installed them myself. It's pretty easy. Just follow the book. Plus your mechanic buddy should be able to help you change springs if you go that route.

When you get to the point of fine tuning the suspension here is a link to a document I like to use as an outline; :crazy:

http://www.mx-tech.com/downloads/tuning_guide.pdf

I just went to the local track and rode, making note of how the bike was handling and comparing it to the tuning guide and got it smooth as silk.

Jeff

Yeah I talked to Factory Connection, they gave me the exact clickers to use and everything, they were within a click or two of what i like.