Beginer Set Up?

My son is 12 years old and likes to ride but is very novice (unlike some screaming banshee 12 yo's) He had an XR 100 that worked good for him but he grew. I mean a lot! He's 6'1" now and 155lbs. We went out yesterday and bought a brand new 04 KX250F (leftover) which fits him great.

What is the most forgiving and easiest to ride settings on the comp/damp front and rear on this type of bike. I don't want the fastest I want the easiest. We are still in the learning stage not the racing stage.

TIA

You didn't exactly buy him a go slow bike like your XR400. :ride: His settings will still need to be tuned to HIS style and terrain, no matter what specific settings anyone else suggests. Set your Race Sag first. You don't want to back off the compression damping too much, you'll get a condition known as riding the spring: Too little compression damping will make the ride stiffer, just like too much will. I suggest you start with all the adjustments in the middle of their range. Find a way to carry a small screwdriver easily, and both of you can start to learn about the art of suspension tuning. Suspension tuning is all about attitude, go into it wanting to learn and it will be fun. When the frustration arrives, go for massive amounts of sugar. Works for me. :crazy:

This site has the best list of conditions and adjustments that I've found. The TT store has a Suspension tuning DVD that is really good also.

The thing about what youre trying to do is, when you back off the settings a bit and then he goes faster, suddenly the settings need to be stiffer...

Id just leave them stock for now. The springs ought to be pretty good at his wieght. If you want you can back the compression clickers out a couple clicks while the suspension breaks in. After about 4 or 5 hours of riding (assuming your doing something that actually compresses the suspension) you may want to firm things back up for him...

Did you say 6 foot at 12 y/o?