Mr Reliability

Hi all, great site, yada yada :)

I'm looking to update my bike in the next couple of months from my venerable XR4 to a DRZ400E. There's no doubt it'll be brilliant for the riding I do, but the thing that drove me to the XR in the first place was its mega-reliabilty (after having a KTM300 EXC, it was a nice change).

In general, how reliable do you find the bike? A lot of you come from an XR background, do you find the DRZ to be just about as reliable?

It's not going to stop me getting one (nothing will), I just want to know what to expect :D

Thanks

Steve

-10 degrees *c outside the other day,

pulled the bike out of the garage, and it started on the second push of the button.

Very reliable bike!

I've only once had a problem starting it, can't remember the reason, but she wouldn't start with the button, so I just put her in 2nd gear and did a bump start. Easy as pie.

Thanks excellent, gotta love that button too. I won't bother with the optional kicker then either.

I seriously hope it doesn't get to -10c here though! They say it's the 'best' climate in Australia (whatever that means) but it's hitting 42c+ now (erm that's um, 42 / 5 * 9 + 32 = 107+ F).

Steve

The bikes been great for me the last year. The biggest difference from the XR 400 is the radiator. That is the weekest point as with all water cooled bikes.

I had water leaking from my pump but went away after I put some sealer in. I also crashed and damaged my water hose at the pump. These problems are fixable with skid plates and guards.

You will not be sorry. Ride yellow be mellow

I have about 6500 miles on my DRZ, almost all of them off-road. I take very good care of my bike but I also have no mercy off road. I have had it all over the western US and Mexico for up to 7 day trips and it has performed flawlessly.

Armor the cooling system and you shoud be fine.