Sign in to follow this  

src fork brace is too much $ need an alternative!

i work in bicyle shop. We use $20 fork braces on mountain bike shocks and they work great! but, how can they charge $200 for an 8" peice of machined alloy? great product but b.s. price

anyone got an alternative short of me machining it myself (which i'll do if i have to)?

yeager,

I'll second that. If you make one, let me know and I might buy one from you. I have an '01S and wanted to stiffen up the front end. Mail me if you end up making something. Thanks.

Frank

fzy1@yahoo.com

If you make one, do what SRC insist in there instructions: Cut the area of the fender that is directly over the brace. The reason they tell you that, is on a really hard landing the brace can contact the fender and cause you a bit of heart ache.

are you riding at such an advanced level that you really need one? do you have a steering stablizer yet?

Originally posted by Hotler:

are you riding at such an advanced level that you really need one? do you have a steering stablizer yet?

WELL...UM.....MAYBE?

DON'T HAVE STABLIZER YET. TRING TO DECIDE B/T SCOTTS AND WER. I DO GET ALOT OF TANK SLAP (SPEED WOBBLES) ALREADY. LOOKING FOR A CHEAP FIX. I THINK A FORK BRACE WILL HELP LOTS I KNOW IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE ON MOUNTAIN BIKES YOUR INPUT WOULD BE GREAT.

Tank slaps/ Speed wobbles. Check your spokes.

That will do more than anything for starters. Then get a steering damper.

The drz400E has pretty stout forks but a brace will give a little more precision at a price. Besides the cost you have to toss the fork gators and you will lose seals more frequently. The fender cuting weakens the fender so it will not support a fender bag for very long.

The brace really helped on my XR600 and Xr400 though but the Suzuki has better forks and the gain will be even less for the price.