Which compact truck?

I will be getting a truck soon. It will be a compact since gas is so expensive. I am not too picky I just want the following things:

-V6 (so that when I pull my trailer I dont have to struggle with it)

-Big bed (so that I can haul 2 bikes in the back)

-relatively comfortable cab

-reliable

-not ugly

I will be going to an auction to get it so I could get a very good price. I know that my dad does not want to spend more then $5,000. This should be enough for a good truck at the auction. So, what truck do you think is the right truck for me?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be fooled into thinking you will get better milelage with a compact truck. I have a 98 s-10 with the v-6 and it got around 14 city and 18 Hwy. I just bought a silverado crew cab with the 5.3 V-8 and it gets about 13 city and 17-18 Hwy. The difference with the S-10 was if I put 2 bikes gear and my buddy in it it would drop to about 15 HWY. In the Silverado there is no difference with or without bikes and gear. If you need a truck and are concerned with mileage look for and older Toyota 2Wd with the four cylinder and 5 speed. I think when I had one of those it got mid 20's.

have ya actually checked the gas mileage of V6 minitrucks? they don't get any better than V8 full size, you end up burning just as much gas but driving half as much truck.

When GM full size V8 trucks will get 20+ on the highway, I really cant see any reason to buy a minitruck :crazy:

I pretty much agree. My wifes 06 4-runner V-6 gets 24 MPG, but honestly IMO its not woth the trade-off.

Around here regular is about $2.85-$2.95 a gallon. My dad thinks that full size trucks cost a lot more to maintain than many trucks. Is this true? The combination of how much they cost to maintain and how much gas they use is the reason why he doesnt want to get me a full size truck. Also, can a 4 cylinder truck/suv pull a trailer up a mountain without riding at 6,000 all the way up? How does a 4 cylinder truck pull a trailer on the interstate? Trailer is a 5x8 and weighs about 800lbs.

Around here regular is about $2.85-$2.95 a gallon. My dad thinks that full size trucks cost a lot more to maintain than many trucks. Is this true? The combination of how much they cost to maintain and how much gas they use is the reason why he doesnt want to get me a full size truck. Also, can a 4 cylinder truck/suv pull a trailer up a mountain without riding at 6,000 all the way up? How does a 4 cylinder truck pull a trailer on the interstate? Trailer is a 5x8 and weighs about 800lbs.

Negative on the maintenance costs.......oil, filters, brake pads, other fluids, belts etc are not significantly different based on truck size.

I find my LT range D tires on the full size half ton last more than twice as long as any tires on my wifes Honda Accord. (???)

800 pound trailer not a problem IMHO.

The 4 cylinder will get much better mileage too.

BB

If I did get a full size (obviousley an older one) which one would be best? My mom is talking about maybe letting me take her F150, but we arent sure. No matter what truck I get it, it needs to get good interstate MPG. I have to take the interstate to get to the trails, the track, the repair shop, and the post office at the airport. I will have to drive out to the airport 5 times a week as part of a little job I have lined up. It is like 10 miles both ways so it is important that I get good gas mileage in whatever truck I get. Thx for the fast replies. :crazy:

i work at a pretty descent size dealership as an automotive photographer and internet sales consultant. the resale value on cars sucks right now wich is good for buyers. you can pick up pretty good used cars CHEAP at auctions. we buy about 10-20 cars monthly from auctions for stupidly low prices. we just baught a used 2004 toyota tundra double cab v8 for under 15K. so if you can, try to goto a auction with about 5-6k and u can get a pretty decent truck. :crazy:

If I did get a full size (obviousley an older one) which one would be best? My mom is talking about maybe letting me take her F150, but we arent sure. No matter what truck I get it, it needs to get good interstate MPG. I have to take the interstate to get to the trails, the track, the repair shop, and the post office at the airport. I will have to drive out to the airport 5 times a week as part of a little job I have lined up. It is like 10 miles both ways so it is important that I get good gas mileage in whatever truck I get. Thx for the fast replies. :crazy:

GM (chevy/GMC) small block V8 trucks will get the best mileage... when driven conservativly you can expect 22+mpg (hwy) out of the newest half ton small blocks.

GM (chevy/GMC) small block V8 trucks will get the best mileage... when driven conservativly you can expect 22+mpg (hwy) out of the newest half ton small blocks.

What are you smoking Cowboy ? :crazy:

20 I can believe if you drive conservatively.

What are you smoking Cowboy ? :crazy:

20 I can believe if you drive conservatively.

Dad's gettin 23-24 in his 06 1500, he's had 3 identical trucks (1500 4.8 auto 2wd), and they've all gotten pretty close to the same mileage.

Use cruise control and check the air in your tires and you'll easily get 21-22 on the highway in 4.8 or 5.3 powered trucks

Dad's gettin 23-24 in his 06 1500, he's had 3 identical trucks (1500 4.8 auto 2wd), and they've all gotten pretty close to the same mileage.

Use cruise control and check the air in your tires and you'll easily get 21-22 on the highway in 4.8 or 5.3 powered trucks

i have to see this.... i drive like a granpa. my 05 5.3 gets on a good day 14mpg city.... i did see 20mpg on the freeway....once... my 2000 5.3 same deal.....and it was a single cab short bed.. i want his truck :crazy: