starting line

Just a simple question. When you get a chance to pick a starting point on the starting line in a race, where is the the best spot. Just say its, a continuous right hand sweeper. Should I have a starting point on the inside, or near the outside. My first race I was the 5th to pick, and I was all like "shoot... I don't know anything about this!"

You want the gate closest to the inside of the first turn that is also the straightest line. Each track is different. You want to look at the first turn from your gate and have the straightest turn possible with it still being as short of a distance as possible. It's tough to explain. Are you understanding what I'm trying to put across? :crazy:

It took me 2 races (3 motos) at Southwick to figure out if one DOES NOT get the hole-shot that inside lane is a mistake even if it is the shortest distance.

Redbeard450 is right, if you have a "wide" sweeper get that second gate in.

But keep in mind 40 other riders want to get to that same spot and there is usually a pile up in the novice class.

Moto Joe NESC / NEMX #704, 125 C

In the novice class, don't pick a gate next to any other riders. You'd be best off picking a gate as far away from everyone else possible and just taking the outside line in the first corner. You'll probably come out pretty close to the front.

I always pick the mid to outside because everyone wants the inside of the corner and everyone bunches up there and if that happens and you screw up at the gate you can often scoot around everyone who bunches up in the corner. You should also try for the straightest line to the corner. I am usually in the top 3 in the starts if I don't get the holeshot. Proper gear selection is important also. My Crf 450 I used 2nd but on my 4speed Rmz 450 I've found that 3rd is best because I can't tame the front end as well in 2nd and I'm still getting use to it. :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...