Sign in to follow this  

Krappy Kickstands

BE VERY CAREFUL-------If you kickstand has not broke---- you do not own a REAL KTM------yours is a FAKE!!!!! :ride:

it's funny to see the "boltdepot.com" link at the bottom of this thread. :ride:

the pro moto billet kickstand is like a work of art....as far as kickstands go.

super solid, super sano, very trick looking and actually works.

i bought a one inch extension with large pad built in from brap.works great, very well made. easy to install. he recommends heat to get plastic tip out, but i just drilled a 1/4" or 3/8"hole down the middle of it and it came right out.

:ride: Here's one from someone thats been through this before. As I stated earlier I'm a big fan of the Trail Tech kickstand, but I hadn't gotten around to getting one for my 2-smoke yet. Well, yesterday I unloaded my bike, put down the kickstand, and before I could turn around to go get geared up the damned stock bolt broke. :applause:

I'll live without a kickstand until I get one from Trail Tech for it. I'll be getting the $40 model that bolts to the stock mount like I have on my thumper. :thumbsup:

It's not all smiles with trailtech stuff, unfortunately.

I picked up a '01 250EXC last week, and the guy that sold it had attempted to repair the standard stand - but had made a right mess of it. The sidestand bolt that was on there was badly bent. The lockstops had been rebuilt with chemical metal. The first time I put the bike on the stand, it slipped past the remade lockstops until it hit the footpeg, and it was only my lightning fast reactions that stopped the bike from slamming into the floor.

The sidestand bracket looked to be in good shape, so all I needed was a new stand leg and mounting bolt. Exactly what's in the trailtech kit - so that's what I ordered.

When it arrived, it didn't fit right. the lug on the KTM sidestand bracket fitted into the trailtech stand OK, but the trailtech bolt had a shoulder on it of the same diameter - so the bolt wouldn't go in enough to stop the stand leg pulling out far enough to go past the lock stops.

I didn't have time to get the bolt to a lathe to get rid of the shoulder, so I set to the protruding part of the sidestand bracket with a grinder. Once I'd taken that off, the supplied stand and bolt fitted fine, and the stand appeared to work OK.

Except the bolt snapped the second time I put the bike on the stand. I don't start the bike on the stand. I don't get on the bike with the stand down. I just gingerly leant the bike over to rest on the stand and "ping" it went. :applause:

I've also heard a few reports of Trailtech stands on CRF450's having a tendency to snap the bolts too.

I'm quite tempted to splash out on a promotobillet one just to see if they're any better - but I've yet to find a dealer for their stuff in the UK.

Hopefully trailtechproducts.co.uk will sort us out though. :applause:

I just use a triangle myself. But it's getting old taking my helmet off and on everytime I stop to get the triangle over my head . . .

I just use a triangle myself. But it's getting old taking my helmet off and on everytime I stop to get the triangle over my head . . .

That's gotta be a bit risky if you have an off, isn't it? :thumbsup:

We offer a lifetime guarantee with out kickstands. If you have a problem, we take care of it. Our stand is the only 7075 cold forged stand on the market - much stronger than billet CNC aluminum.

For the borken bolts and springs, we admit the problems. It was a huge headache for us. The design is sound for standing on the bike and kicking, even if your a 300+ lbs. The problems were from two vendors, the spring vendor who put kinks in the springs and the bolt vendor who could not control the heat treat process. The spring was an easy fix, you could see the bend that was too tight - it produced a kink that set up a fracure site for every failure we saw. The bolt was not as easy, you can not see or easily test for embrittled bolts. The newer bolts are more expensive but perform as designed. We spot test them with destuctive testing and they all handle more than the required specification.

If your bolt or spring broke, contact us, we will get a new one off to you that will not break. If you have the KTM $40 arm, it is more trouble as the stock bracket will only allow an 8mm thread which is too small for any material to prevent failure problems.

Geoff@trailtech.net

It does seem strange, though, that KTM likes to improve its bikes all the time, but they never seem to get around to putting on a kickstand the equal of any japanese bike at 2/3rds the cost!

I've broken two so far... First time I snapped the entire kickstand, then I replaced it with the cheaper trailtech that uses the stock bolt.

Then broke the bolt.

Yes, I was kickstarting it on the stand.

Yes, I was in a situation that sort-of demanding it. Either than or somehow stretch my legs an extra six inches!

BE VERY CAREFUL-------If you kickstand has not broke---- you do not own a REAL KTM------yours is a FAKE!!!!! :thumbsup:

I had to go out to the garage and do a quick check. Yep - real KTM' - the stands, petcocks, and crappy airbox gave 'em away. Man, I was worried for a moment.

That crappy 8mm kick stand bolt must hold longer on smokers - light and one kick starting. 5 -6 years and counting . . . . I must not ride enough

Stock Kickstand bolt broke today. In the garage, knocked over my daughters KLX110, ripped my seat....that sucks.

Wish I would have read sooner. Which aftermarket kickstand do I buy again??

Stock Kickstand bolt broke today. In the garage, knocked over my daughters KLX110, ripped my seat....that sucks.

Wish I would have read sooner. Which aftermarket kickstand do I buy again??

Pro moto billet.

My stocker broke off, bolts, mounts & all.

Welded the "Tabs" back on and installed the PMB unit- Done. :thumbsup:

I've been through the Trailtech broken bolts saga on my CRF and they stood by me completely. Sent me a third bolt after two had broken until they fixed it with their supplier. I'm sure the PMB unit is trick, but Trailtech has my vote for value (read "less expensive") as well as standing behind their product. So now on my '04 KTM EXC with a bent tab, I'm going Trailtech!

I wasn't dong anything to my bike when it broke. We were stopped in the woods and every one was talking and my bike just fell over. It folded the stand forward and ripped one of the brackets off the chain guide and turned the other one into butter. If it had ripped both of the brackets off, the bike would be ruined. The lower chain guard for the frame is held on by the same bolt. Luckily i can still bolt the chain guard on but i worry about it having only one half of a bracket holding it on. I am going to get it welded. I have toyed around with just buying a new frame, i tweaked mine in a hi speed tight trail get off that removed a lot of plastic and smashed my header in half. So when you look down on the bike you can see the foot pegs are not aligned or pointed in the same direction.