Where to get good socks?

4 hours ago, R1peacock said:

In cooler weather look for Merino Wool with spandex. In warmer weather look for performance fabrics with spandex.

Here is your wool answer.  Don’t use 100% wool socks. You need spandex mixed in like the socks sold at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks and Field and Stream.  100% wool socks will not stay tight to your legs and will sink into your boot.  

On 1/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, Halogin13 said:

I’ve always used wool sock for snowboarding... anyone try riding with wool? 

I threw  out all my Mx socks awhile back. Every pair  was stupidly tight on my medium sized calves. Soccer socks were even tighter. 

Most on the time i use merilo wool. If not i have some sweat wicking under armour i was given as a gift. Id never pay for their name. 

The redhead brand socks at bass pro have a life time warrenty. Wool but not scratchy. 

1 hour ago, R1peacock said:

Here is your wool answer.  Don’t use 100% wool socks. You need spandex mixed in like the socks sold at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks and Field and Stream.  100% wool socks will not stay tight to your legs and will sink into your boot.  

All apologies.. I did miss that comment, thank you for the heads up I don’t have a dic I didn’t miss that comment, thank you for the heads up I don’t have a Bass or Cabela’s around me but I do have a Dick’s Sporting Goods I will go check out

I bought socks from Cabela's for a Deer and Elk Hunting trip a couple years ago. They are perfect for riding. They are tall enough they are a little above the boots, thick enough  to have some cushion.  I haven't noticed them being any hotter in the summer.  

Merino Wool socks at 80%+ combo. I wear them in winter, summer, with boots on, for 12 hours a day, and after a long hot day, I can pull my socks off, and smell them... And have zero odor, and sweat was wicked. There is big studies on it. 

I pay 25 bucks a pair for top quality socks, I don't let my wife wash them because she must enjoy eating them or something. Never gives me all my socks back.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, R1peacock said:

Ask any soldier!

On 1/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, Halogin13 said:

I’ve always used wool sock for snowboarding... anyone try riding with wool? 

Yes...smartwool ski socks. 

I’ve used two types of socks:
Smart wool ski socks. Extra padded on the whole foot and the front shin. No clue if the shin padding makes a difference but the foot does. I have not been riding long and I had these on hand, so I used them. I’m not sure I’d use them if it wasn’t below 60. Smart wool can be washed regularly, won’t shrink. They don’t stink either and will still insulate when wet if it’s cold out. Wool is the original performance gear. I’ve gotten all my wool stuff from REI.

Soccer socks: wore these on the hotter rides after getting severely messed up and overheated on my first ride. I mistakenly used klim dakar pants on a 95 degree day. So I went full stop to anything that might be cooler on the next ride. The soccer socks worked great. Even though they aren’t padded, I didn’t get any blisters or hot spots or anything like that.

What not to use: I’m not sure what they are called. Crew socks? They come up to my calf. Totally sucked not having socks as high as my boots.