Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about getting a 250x a few ??'s

I was considering getting a new or newer 240X and was just going to ask you current 250 owners what you thought about the bike overall. I currently ride an 02' Xr250 with Gordons mods and a hotcam and im sure at least a few of you have owned or still own an xr250. How does the 250x perform in comparison to the xr? I love my Xr would it be worth trading up to a new CRF?

any input is appreciated.

You will love the X, I was riding an xr 400 before I got mine, and would much rather have the X. Everything is great, just keep up on maintenance and you will be fine:thumbsup:

The #1 thing you'll miss is the XR torque. Also, the XR is forgiving if you let off the gas, and then gas-it at the last minute to get over something. The torque of the XR generally helps you recover from poor judgment and throttle control. In those situations the 250X will tend to stall. This is my experience anyway. Compared to the XR, the 250X likes to rev more, it does have decent torque, but you need to feather the clutch sometimes and keep the revs up.

In EVERY other department, the CRF is better. :crazy:

I learned to ride on an XR400. Rode it for about 1 year and sold it for a CRF250X. Best thing I ever did! I'll never go back. The 250X is sooo much more fun to ride. People told me it would make me a better rider and it did. I like to ride tight twisty single track and the bike just craves it. The 250X feels like a high performance mountain bike as far as handling is concerned.

The 250X is going to require more time spent in the garage than your XR does. What I mean is the fork seals are going to need attention more than on the XRs (esp. if you ride in the mud), and you'll need to check the 250X's valve clearances more often than is required for the XRs. If you're not into getting to know the inner workings of your bike, the 250X is not for you.....just my opinion. If you are into working on your own bikes, get the factory service manual from Helm or your dealer. It makes it sooo easy. :ride:

the differences are many... more ponys, better suspention, E start.

The X doesn't seem to have quite the low end grunt of the XR but lots more power when you twist the throttle.

I am also strongly considering a 250X and was aware the valves need to be checked and adjusted more often than would be on an XR, but was unaware that fork seal leaks were more prevalent. I'm wondering if this is a big issue, and are there any safe guards in this area like fork boots for example?

My 04 has not had any problems with the fork seals, and I have never even had to do any work to them. My friend rides an XR250, and when I feel like just puttering around I will take it out. However, when I want to pick up some speed, I hop back on my bike. As others said, the XR has a bit more torque, but if you just keep the X revved up you won't miss it. The weight difference is also very noticable, you will love it.

I'm wondering if this is a big issue, and are there any safe guards in this area like fork boots for example?

I would say this is definitely not a big issue. The only time I had a problem was a few weeks after riding in some nasty mud and neglected to thoroughly clean the forks. I had a minor leak and was able to clean off the seals and the leak stopped.

Seal savers are these neoprene like socks/tubes that fit over the seals, they would help keep the seals clean for those who like to ride in the mud.

i juss got off of a 2001 xr 250 and can i tell you, its wayyy better IMO. xr's are a little more forgiving on hills but once u have expierenced the throttle response and greatness of what the X has to offer, u wont even remember that ol' xr :ride: