Sign in to follow this  

So, Teach Me About Sprockets...

I'm not a gear head at all. Ask me to build you a computer and you will have one in an hour. Ask me to change the oil or talk about sprockets on a motorcycle and you will get that blank stare... :crazy: I'm slowly trying to change this though.

I see lots of talk about different sprockets, can anyone enlighten me? I have a new '06 DR650 and took it off road for the first time yesterday. It felt like first gear was not quite low enough. For instance, I wanted to use it to descend a hill and traverse some ruts, but the bike felt like it was either going too fast or started to lug. I had to really feather the clutch and play with the throttle to make it. Is this a sprocket thing, an engine/jetting thing, or a riding ability thing I need to work on? I live and ride at about 9000 - 11000 feet. Also, what sprocket would be the best compromise for off road and highway, if there is such a thing. Thanks much again all!

I use the 14 tooth counter sprocket, the front one. It helps with the slow speed lug. Jesse at keintech has them as well as everything you need for the DR650 along with the know how and the patience to walk you through it.

I'm not a gear head at all. Ask me to build you a computer and you will have one in an hour. Ask me to change the oil or talk about sprockets on a motorcycle and you will get that blank stare... :crazy: I'm slowly trying to change this though.

I see lots of talk about different sprockets, can anyone enlighten me? I have a new '06 DR650 and took it off road for the first time yesterday. It felt like first gear was not quite low enough. For instance, I wanted to use it to descend a hill and traverse some ruts, but the bike felt like it was either going too fast or started to lug. I had to really feather the clutch and play with the throttle to make it. Is this a sprocket thing, an engine/jetting thing, or a riding ability thing I need to work on? I live and ride at about 9000 - 11000 feet. Also, what sprocket would be the best compromise for off road and highway, if there is such a thing. Thanks much again all!

understand though, that this mod does not make a lot of difference.. it's a minor, but worthwhile change.

J.

If you ride trails art all the 14T front sprocket mod is highly recommended.

in fact, even though it lowers the gearing, you will still be able to do normal street riding without noticing any problems. Only if you do extensive higway riding, or high speed street riding the 14T sprocket will be bad for you (teh engine revs will be noticable higher than usual in those conditions)

It is a cheap and easy mod to do, and it will give you more power in 1st gear for tricky conditions,and make the gears work better in most conditions.

Originally i consider 5th gear to be a pure overdrive for highway riding. Even with my 14T sprocket 5th doesnt go in until 50-55 mph, even if I sometimes can use it to lower my revs at straight roads as low as 45mph, below that and it starts lugging....

/K

Very good, thanks much for the info all. So it seems a 14t would be the best for me right now. I do mainly slow street riding and trail riding. So, how easy is the swap out on this? Is it common practice to have two sprockets of different sizes and swap them out depending on the kind of riding one is doing (long highway stretches vs. short street/trail)? Or, have two wheels with the different sprockets? Thanks again all.

Took me less than 10 minutes including the chain adjust. I was surprised how easy it was. I noticed more pull right off the line and I commute mostly between 55-75 MPH with no problems. Of course with no tach and lot of wind, might be revving more than normal and I would never know.

For offroad riding, I found that a 14 tooth on the front and a 45 on the rear works pretty good. The stock chain will still work, but barely. If you are doing much off roading, you would want better dirt tires also.

Congrats on the new ride!Yep the 14 CS is the way to go,,,bro !

I too was wondering if I was going to burn out the clutch feathering it all the time off road.

The change is about the same as swapping out a hard drive, Not too tuff,, but forget one bolt and the heads will crash :banana: Your Head !

Soooo it is nice that you don't have to take off the rear rim,,, just slack up the chain from the adjusters after lossing up the axle, pull the side cover and remove the 2 tiny bolts that hold the plate on there.Spin the plate a bit and slide it off and pull the chain and sprocket off together.Slide the smaller sprocket in the chain links and back on the bike. The little plastic ring is to keep the chain noise down...I don't think it fits with the smaller CS...lose it.. Be sure to put some lock tight on the bolts and run 'em in after the plate is in place.Don't forget the cover !Adjust chain, tighten axle,,Wheelie !

After that mod you will want to do the Dyno Jet thing. $55 bucks will add soooo much snap the the throttle,,,but wait till after warranty is over....

Plenty of posts on the DJ or call Jessi,,, The DR wizzard.. kind of like the "Net Administrator" of the Suzuki DR's...... :ride:

If you go off road you will need to lose the 'death wings' tires. I thought I would use 'em up then change, 'till I got in the mud...the tires are useless if you hit anything as soft as a bird turd off road !

I put on the Kings set from here;

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=5000&department=647&division=6#

Good bite and solid on the road!

g5000.jpg

understand though, that this mod does not make a lot of difference.. it's a minor, but worthwhile change.

J.

For street use the difference is minor yes but its not so minor if your picking your way through tight wooded trails. You'll be riding the clutch alot less and have more grunt on hand for sand, hills and hopping logs. The price is minor though, at $14 for a JT sprocket.

Mike.

Thanks again for the info all. I'll be picking up the 14T this week.

DoubleD650 - Thanks for the step by step, sounds easy enough that I think I'm going to give it hell. The Dyno was going to be my next mod. Do you think this mod is easy enough for a nOOb wrencher to do? Or, will I need to take it somewhere. I haven't read up on it at all yet. You are the first to warn about waiting until the warranty is up to do this mod though. Why is this? Will the Dyno mod negate the factory warranty? If so, good to know and thanks for the tip!

When I bought the bike I also purchased a set of Dunlop 606's, an MSR skidplate and a tail rack. The dealer had to order the tires and so I'm picking them up today. What are your opinions on these tires? I know they are a pretty aggressive offroad tire (90/10?), but will they still do ok on the street? I will be riding pavement to get to the offroad areas, and definately want a tire that will have some grip on the slab. If you are familiar with the Dunlop's, how do you think they compare to your Kings?

Thanks again all.

Don't know about the kings, but the D606's are NOISY on the road. Grip? great in dirt, acceptable on road. Wear? I have about 1600 mi. on mine, the rear is about 1/2 gone, the front has no noticeable wear :ride:

YOu may also need to re-jet for your altitude. 9,000 to 11,000 feet is pretty high unless whoever set up the bike jetted it for that altitude. If you do the Dynojets you should be able to set the jetting up properly. Also, you will want to mod the airbox if you haven't done so already, so the bike can breathe up in that thin air.