kibblewhite valve head broke off

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't a solution exist to this problem?

I have already ordered from US the valves,

is it possible to make thickness to the spring?

no, not with the stock springs they will not work .

do yourself a favor and do not run the kw valves and or their week springs. and you certainly do not want to run the kw valves with your stock springs :banana:

the guy RHC above your last post is Ron Hamp and he has the correct ferrea valves and spring kits for your 450 and or 250,

i have used these now in several race motors that get beat all to hell and the springs do not sack out and the valves live.

pm Ron and get the correct valves and springs for your bike , you will be happy you did :ride:

It excuses kelstr but my English it is not good and I don't have I understand well what you have written.

Ok I won't race with the springs stock.

But the gentleman Ron Hamp could give me and to send me the correct springs for my crf 450? is it true?

Don't I know this gentleman :ride:, I'm Italian, is it perhaps a tweaker?

Now I have purchased the valves and I cannot use them. I'm not rich :banana:

Thank you

It excuses kelstr but my English it is not good and I don't have I understand well what you have written.

Ok I won't race with the springs stock.

But the gentleman Ron Hamp could give me and to send me the correct springs for my crf 450? is it true?

Don't I know this gentleman :ride:, I'm Italian, is it perhaps a tweaker?

Now I have purchased the valves and I cannot use them. I'm not rich :busted:

Thank you

yes, Ron can send the springs and the valves you need.

he is RHC 5 posts above this one ,

he has his picture on post and he is RHC -----this is RON HAMP .

the north american telephone number is 1-989-463-1267.

you might dial it like 100 989 463 1267 , its been awhile since i was there , :banana:

it must be the weather here in michigan Mark morland dropped off a crf 450 with kibble white valves and springs and one of the exhaust valves broke off and lodged iin the piston it still wrecked the cylinder and head

Whats the best valve spring combo out there??

More bad news as someone suggested looking at my connecting rod to make sure it wasn't damaged. Sure enough it is slightly bent and cracked. Darn.

i know, the dog gone things :banana:

on these types of failures you always want to go through the whole thing and replace everything worn and in question,

you will be much happier you did , instead of getting it all together and have more problems at that point ,

it just cost you way More in time and money to try and short cut it :ride:

So are these the Ferrea valves ??

http://www.ronhamp.com/portal/default.asp?id=13&mnu=13

or are there other choices??

I could swear this one guy I know used all stainless valves from Webcam on his bike, he claims no other problems since the change.

When I do the valves on my engine I want the best, what is the best valve/spring/retainer setup??

I thought most aftermarket got rid of the Ti valves and went to all Stainless?

So are these the Ferrea valves ??

http://www.ronhamp.com/portal/default.asp?id=13&mnu=13

or are there other choices??

I could swear this one guy I know used all stainless valves from Webcam on his bike, he claims no other problems since the change.

When I do the valves on my engine I want the best, what is the best valve/spring/retainer setup??

I thought most aftermarket got rid of the Ti valves and went to all Stainless?

yes you found the place to get the good stuff.

the ti valves are used because they are light and the motor can spin high rpm and live.

most of the ss valves are way to heavy and take incredible heavy springs to try to control the valves ,

and the heavy valves and springs are wasting motor and cause problems.

ferrea has some steel valves that are the same weight as the ti valves,

and they have some of the best ti valves also,

and their springs do not crap out in 5 hrs like the kw junk heavy springs do.

so call Ron and get the good stuff :ride:

If it was an 02 it might have been the cam chain tensioner. They will fail and your valves will be introduced to their new friend the piston. I had a buddys do that.

Ron saw it, the tell tale sign are valve marks on the top of the piston. Also most likely

your con rod is bent, check it with machinists parallel blocks to the wrist pin.

The tricky part is that the valve looks like it broke on its own, like the head just snapped off.

Bryan

Please EXPLAIN because I have an 02. :ride: Whats the problem and whats the remedy?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Huffa 2 I believe this is reference to the 02 and 03s cam chain tensioner being more fragile. On the 04s and newer models the spring is heavier duty and doesn't break as easy. I read about these failing or allowing the cam chain to jump a tooth which could cause engine damage. It looked like it was more of a problem for those who installed heavy duty springs and ss valves. This is also why alot of people started putting on manual cam chain tensioners or making their own. As far as I can tell mine seems to be in good working order. However, I plan on replacing it and the cam chain to be on the safe side.

yes you found the place to get the good stuff.

the ti valves are used because they are light and the motor can spin high rpm and live.

most of the ss valves are way to heavy and take incredible heavy springs to try to control the valves ,

and the heavy valves and springs are wasting motor and cause problems.

ferrea has some steel valves that are the same weight as the ti valves,

and they have some of the best ti valves also,

and their springs do not crap out in 5 hrs like the kw junk heavy springs do.

so call Ron and get the good stuff :ride:

OH...........so those are the valves that must be in my bike then I assume? I had my head done by Ron in December or so and I honestly forgot what he installed in it :banana: I'll have to give him a PM just to see which ones but I think they are the steelies.

............................................................................................

My reference to the '02 model was simply to imply that maybe it hadn't been

checked or replaced in a while. Honda changed it in '04, but the stock tensioner is junk, it keeps its tension basically with a long thread pitch

and a ribbon type watch spring. Replace it with a manual tensioner or make your own, but don't run the stock tensioner of any year. I personally have seen five '04 and later tensioners fail with my own eyes. I have taken a lot of stock ones and drilled and tapped them for a bolt and lock nut so they physically cannot back out. When I do this I also add a different coil type pressure spring. Also keep an eye on the cam chain itself it stretches just like your drive chain, and if it ever feels stiff at all DON'T run it. Replace it. You need a flywheel puller to do this. Also we should all be thankful that we

have Ron Hamp around who has a wealth if information on this subject.

Hope that helps, Bryan

checked or replaced in a while. Honda changed it in '04, but the stock tensioner is junk, it keeps its tension basically with a long thread pitch

and a ribbon type watch spring. Replace it with a manual tensioner or make your own, but don't run the stock tensioner of any year. I personally have seen five '04 and later tensioners fail with my own eyes. I have taken a lot of stock ones and drilled and tapped them for a bolt and lock nut so they physically cannot back out. When I do this I also add a different coil type pressure spring. Also keep an eye on the cam chain itself it stretches just like your drive chain, and if it ever feels stiff at all DON'T run it. Replace it. You need a flywheel puller to do this. Also we should all be thankful that we

Hope that helps, Bryan

yes, these auto tensioners are not good,

i always jam these and turn the stock unit into a manuel tensioner , and or drill it and make one like earthmover suggested,

i have been modding these tensioners or changing them out for years ,

they can ruin you day.

but i have seen enough kw valves fall apart without hitting the piston :banana:

there are just a heavy bad deal with expensive junk springs :ride:

Hope that helps, Bryan

Would you be so kind to explain the exact manual tensioner procedure, what parts are needed and what size - pitch tap to use? Must you take the cylinder off motor to do this?

.........................................................................................

FWIW i runt he KW valves and springs in my bike and have had no problems with them in the 100+hrs that are on my bike. i have replaced the cylinder, piston, cam, seals, bearings, etc due to running the bike out of oil, but the springs still live! it is very important to keep a new tensioner in there. it is cheap insurance. a manual one would be the best but i have had no problems yet.

FWIW i runt he KW valves and springs in my bike and have had no problems with them in the 100+hrs that are on my bike. i have replaced the cylinder, piston, cam, seals, bearings, etc due to running the bike out of oil, but the springs still live! it is very important to keep a new tensioner in there. it is cheap insurance. a manual one would be the best but i have had no problems yet.

When was the last time you checked the spring tension? the next time you have it apart you should check those...I bet you're unpleasantly surprised...