Sign in to follow this  

Made the switch and cant jump now!

I use to have a rm 125, got real good and fast on it. But out power'd by the thumpers. Got a crf 250r. Now its like learing to ride all over again. Rode some today the first jump kicked all the way to the left and smacked my chin on the cross bar. While later washed out coming out of a corner. Iv raced allready and decided to not do my last race because i cant jump this bike. Im going to practice on a new track tomorrw, its my favorite one. If I cant do the jumps on the 250 that I could do with my 125, im selling the thumper. Any pointers from going from a 125 to a 250.

Keep riding it! It takes time. Give it another month and then jump back on a 125....it will feel like an 80!

When I made the switch I found out just the opposite. I was overjumping things that I had to hammer on to get over on my 2-stroke 250. The four stroke has made it so much easier for me to clear opticals and has given me more confidence. The first thing I learned is throttle control. On a two stroke, especially a 125, you'll be clearing jumps (depending on the jump of course) revving out, on a 4-stroke it's a little different. Before on my 2-stroke I would enter a jump and leave it using steady throttle control, now I rip up to the jump and right before I leave the lip I let off the throttle. I'm able to carry more speed up the face with less effort than a 2 stroke, so the letting off part is key.

The 4-stroke has so much more grunt to it clearing jumps is very easy, just get use to the power first, start slow, and you'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier :ride: Hope this helps...

You changed brands and you went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. It will take some getting used to. Messing with your clickers will fix your problem of washing out. When you are hitting jumps be as upright as possible. 4 strokes have more torque and because of that it is easier to wash out off the face of a jump.

when i made the switch it was hard to get use to, but now i would never go back, the one main problem i found is that everytime i jump the bike the front end came right up, becuase i was use to hiting the gas real hard on the face of the jump, but with the four stroke u have to have a smooth throtle all the way thorugh the jump

Sounds like you need to do some bike setup. Is your preload set? If it is maybe change it alittle, it almost sounds like you are running too much preload. Set your preload, set the clickers to stock, and go get used to the 4 stroke. Try being a gear higher and lower in the RPMs than you were on your 125 for most things. But you will get it, if you don't then you weren't as good as you think you were. JK, seriously keep at it, you will like the 4 stroke once you get used to it. I almost sold my 450 when I switched, it took me almost a month to get as fast as I was on my 250 2stroke. Now I smoke my 250 times. Alot of it had to do with setting it up correctly. I just finally got it to turn the way I want.

when i made the switch it was hard to get use to, but now i would never go back, the one main problem i found is that everytime i jump the bike the front end came right up, becuase i was use to hiting the gas real hard on the face of the jump, but with the four stroke u have to have a smooth throtle all the way thorugh the jump

With a 2 stroke you stay smooth on the throttle too. I ride a 250 2 stroke and I never hammer the gas on the face of a jump. The whole part of being smooth is throttle control and it should be about the same no matter what you are riding. Get your speed up before the jump face and you roll the jump with the proper speed on any bike. This also keeps the bike in shape.

With a 2 stroke you stay smooth on the throttle too. I ride a 250 2 stroke and I never hammer the gas on the face of a jump. The whole part of being smooth is throttle control and it should be about the same no matter what you are riding. Get your speed up before the jump face and you roll the jump with the proper speed on any bike. This also keeps the bike in shape.

125s are quite a bit different than 250s. alot of the time you are forced to be pretty much wide open right off the face of the jump on a 125. Also, riding a 125 is not about being smooth, being a more underpowered bike, you just have to keep it wide open and control the power with the clutch.

for the OP, it sounds like more of a mental block thinking that you can't jump it, that in turn is making you mess up while jumping IMO

I got used to my brothers right away, and I went from a cr 85! I don't know what you're complaining about. Just keep riding it.

ya pointer #1 learn how to ride, its not the bike unless you have the supension all screwed up maybe go back and see that could be some of the problem . I switched from a 2stroke 4stroke this yr I did not have any trouble jumping the bike at all I never heard of many other guys talking like you are. so something is either in your drinking water or your fooling yourself on how good you are.

When I made the switch I found out just the opposite. I was overjumping things that I had to hammer on to get over on my 2-stroke 250. The four stroke has made it so much easier for me to clear opticals and has given me more confidence. The first thing I learned is throttle control. On a two stroke, especially a 125, you'll be clearing jumps (depending on the jump of course) revving out, on a 4-stroke it's a little different. Before on my 2-stroke I would enter a jump and leave it using steady throttle control, now I rip up to the jump and right before I leave the lip I let off the throttle. I'm able to carry more speed up the face with less effort than a 2 stroke, so the letting off part is key.

The 4-stroke has so much more grunt to it clearing jumps is very easy, just get use to the power first, start slow, and you'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier :ride: Hope this helps...

... NO! dontg listen to him, on a 4 stroke you do not let off the gas on the face of the jump. at all, you throttle all the way through the jump.

:banana:

Im going to practice tuesday and thursday if the weather participates. This is two weeks now the track has closed to rain. Ill let you know how it comes out. Im having a lot of trouble shifting it to. I wear 12/12.5's. And i shift and it wont go up, my dad thinks its to low so when we go hes gona fix that and my suspension.

... NO! dontg listen to him, on a 4 stroke you do not let off the gas on the face of the jump. at all, you throttle all the way through the jump.

:ride:

Exactly!!! 4strokes have much more engine drag than 2strokes, so if you let off the gas on the jump the front end will nosedive down.

Exactly!!! 4strokes have much more engine drag than 2strokes, so if you let off the gas on the jump the front end will nosedive down.

How about nosediving up?

It all depends on the jump but as I said before... you get you speed up before the jump. Smooth throttle on either bike.

If it's a big table with a huge ramp on the face and you have a short run at it because of a turn... you would be on the gas almost to the top of the jump then let off at the end to bring the nose down.... if you listen to some of these guys you'll be looping that thing before you know it. Staying on the gas will have your nose pointing straight up!! Bad idea!

:ride:

It depends on the jump, the lip, and how you approach. If you are carrying a high rate of speed up to the jump there is no way you hold it wide open up the face, you keep a steady throttle and let off at the top to coast over it. It's a known technique, unless you are not use to jumping and then you just take every jump with throttle. I've been racing/riding for over 20 years so maybe we just misunderstood one another. All jumps are different and maybe I was generalizing it to much. The roll over jumps was one of the first I noticed, maybe that's why I mentioned letting off the throttle at first, but it's not bad, just a different way to take "certain" jumps.

Well finally no rain so got to go riding today. Tooke me about a lap or two arond the track getting used to it to start jumping. Started hitting the jumps, love the power and how light it feels in the air, still having problem's cornering tho, washed out 3 times and twisted my leg up real bad on one. Move my shifter up 2 notches made it even better, even did a little whip on a single. Came in on the outside and just moved my body and moved the back in on to the line and out of the disk'd/chopped up area. Held a guy off on a 250 2smoke for about 2 laps then washed out and hurt my leg real bad. My dad says he's going to move the forks up a little and he said that should help me out a little. But overall I decided to keep the 250f, thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I hardly belive that the bike is causeing the problem , you need to go to the basics of ridding a motocross bike start their just like a begginer do not tell me how fast you are on a 125 the best thing you can do is to accept that you have been doing things wrong and you need to go and re learn how to properly ride the right way. chance are everything from body postion , griping the bike , bike setup twisting the throttle ect. is all wrong. the faster you accept that you are ridding wrong the sooner you will be jumping like a pro.

So your saying if I was really good, I could switch from one way of riding to a completely differnt style. And also going from a 125 to a bike that has 2 times as much power, should have no effect what so ever? Guess I just need to accept that you trully are a "butt" head.