Piute Mountain Roundup II

sounds fun, ill probably head out there. how long does it take to get to the meeting spot from jawbone?

I might have to bail out, i bruised my tail bone pretty good at the skate park...I'm actually standing as i type this...

Mike

You gotta leave skating to the youngsters that still have rubbery bones. Bummer man.

The meeting spot is roughly 15 minutes by bike or 30 by car from Jawbone.

You gotta leave skating to the youngsters that still have rubbery bones. Bummer man.

screw that Skate or die!!! I'm hoping itll hurt less by friday and i'll make a last minute decision

We all still on gents?? Can I ask for a show of hands for this saturday?? I'm commin in from the bay area and would love to hook up with some guys that know the ridin area.

sean

Hey Greg,

I feel bad, I tell you not to bail on the ride... and now i can't make it either. Any who, my doctor says anymore riding before my knee surgery (3rd ACL reconstruction) and i might do some permenant damage :applause:

I'm in for Sat AM at the designated spot. So far I have two dead DS bikes and a couple of 2 smokes that run - not street legal. If the UPS truck gets parts in time for me to leave Fri night I'll be OK, otherwise I might have to dodge the green trucks.

I'd like to try the trail up through Brightstar into Cortez Springs. The roads up into the Piutes aren't that much fun. I have the Friends of Jawbone map and a compass, so I don't want to go that far alone. (no GPS and Sat phone).

Did it halfway but it got dark last time. I'm an older B-C rider, so I need company that isn't too fast.

Bruce W

I think there are going to be three smokers already and I really doubt everyone else is DS legal.

Skate or Die! I love that.... Crazy10Toes, for Gods sake dont ride, what a bum deal man. Get better. My knees are going slowly too...but Im ignoring the pain. Ill be in a wheel chair eventually anyway cause of my deformed feet.

I know one route from Brightstar back around and thats about it. Im going to bring a map but dont have GPS etc either.

We have three guys coming out in my truck. If half the people show up that showed interest in this thread we should have a pretty good group.

I cant stop making BBRRRAAAPPP noises, they hate me at work.

I hope to be in also. Might park at Jawbone and ride to the spot.

Hope to meet you guys at 9:00

Later Ken

I cant stop making BBRRRAAAPPP noises, they hate me at work.

start making ring ding ding noises and see what they do then :applause:

Maybe I will park my truck at the spot. Is that the junction that has a bridge and a lot of trees -brush. ???

Check the map on an earlier post - it isn't hard to find.

I figure I have about 80 mile range, so starting from this location allows for a good mountain ride. Last time I was up there some of the trails on the Friends of Jawbone map were posted closed, that is what has been happening in Sequoia. Other trail heads were kind of hard to find.

Anyone know a specific route we can take?

If you start from Jawbone bring plenty of water and fuel!

If you want to do some of the dual sport route,go up Piute mtn. road and when you pass Sorrel pk. road go .4 miles on down road and look for tracks going up a ditch on the right.If you find it just follow the worn in route.

Thanks! I think I found it on the map.

I did the trail up St John's Ridge thinking it was that same trail - I think the St John's Trail is a no-no, part of the Pacific Crest Trail! The signs were pretty beat up coming off Piute Mtn Rd., and it looked like a MC trail - nice ride!

Probably won't do it again now that I know it is off limits.

I did part of the 34E42 from Kelso Valley road into Bright Star - kind of sandy, but not too bad, fun really. I have heard it is too steep farther in and you can't get through to French Meadow unless you are an expert. Ever done it all the way?

right on gentleman!!..... I'm fired up for the ride. I'm commin down from the bay area if anyone needs a ride. I'll be at the meeting spot before 9am. green chevy truck..cr in the back.

sean

How long would you guesstimate the trip from Long Beach to the meeting spot to be?

Were leaving Corona by 5:30. 3 hours roughly. Its about 165 miles to Jawbone then 35 minutes to the staging spot.

Some of the trails I have been on out there I wouldnt recommend for newish riders thats for sure. One for sure I wouldnt do again if somebody paid me...

Going to be breaking in a new Dunlop 952 out there. :applause:

right on greg.....I'll leave late tonight......last chance if anyone wants to hitch a ride from san jose....i'll be at the meeting spot at sunrise....safe drive gents.....

sean

I did the trail up St John's Ridge thinking it was that same trail - I think the St John's Trail is a no-no, part of the Pacific Crest Trail! The signs were pretty beat up coming off Piute Mtn Rd., and it looked like a MC trail - nice ride!

St Johns ridge has an old ox trail and the PCT both.The PCT runs a little below the crown of the ridge and the ox trail goes right up the spine.The ox trail goes thru the old mining area of Agueberry and comes out on the Sorrel pk. road by a couple of cabins.The ox trail is legal.It starts right where the Kelso valley road pavemment ends. Wish I was riding with you but I twisted my knee last weekend on the dual sport ride up there.