Piute Mountain Roundup II

It may be way shorter to come into Kelso Valley Rd from the other direction for you. Not sure if youve been there before or not...

One of our truck-pool riders backed out, one less bike.

yes im going to come down kelso rd from above by isabella.

sean

well im about to head out there ill be in a chevy silverado with a black crf 450, if im asleep wake me up.

Well...what a great ride! The weather was PERFECT...temp, sun, etc. This is an area I want to explore some more. We rode all levels of trails from nice contour type trials to full on Death March. We were blessed to have Dan as our tour guide. He seems to have the area imprinted in his DNA or something. He made everything look easy while most of us were bouncin' all over the place. We had @ 10 guys for the trip...with a few 2 smokes to keep us thumpers honest. Everyone was at least at the intermediate level and up and I am sure ALL (except our leader :applause:) found plenty of challenges out there. We heard several folks speaking tounges at the top of the first hill...only 6 made it up there. But all in all I think everyone had a good time...especially when we got back to the beer...I mean trucks.

Keep me in mind if y'all do this again. I really want to get back up there soon.

P.S. Next time I will drop a tooth or two on the counter and drop the psi to @ 8...WOW WEEE!

Well, I wound up on the ride kind of by mistake.

I decided not to go on the ride leaving from Mike's because it sounded a bit too hard core, and I though the group leaving from Kelso would have more of a range of abilities and I could find another old guy to ride with.

I figured I would be OK when they said they would use a relay system to keep track of everyone, but these guys looked serious.

We started off on a nice single track desert type trail with a moderate section or two, not bad. The Dan said, OK, you guys did OK, we're going to pick it up a notch! Things got progressively harder. I was done in by a rock step between two trees I just couldn't get over. They sent down a couple of others who I think could have made the harder sections but decided against it and we rode as two groups the rest of the day.

I would have to say that everyone on the ride was a real gent, although I felt bad about constantly picking up the rear. They helped me through the tougher parts very patiently - it must have been a pain. I have to say I found reserves of energy I never knew I had, and I don't ever think I have been so completely worn out. For some reason I can't comprehend, I actually feel OK the day after, except for a big blister on my toe! I didn't even break my bike.

The trails up there are really great, I never would have found them on my own. We had great leaders and a great group, but it was not a trip for the faint of heart!

Quite a day. Absolutely incredible trails. I have been down a few tight, rough trails up there but it was nothing near what we got into yesterday. The tougher parts were just longer and right after each other.

I ran out of water and energy by the time we got to the top of the hill and decided to bail out on a marked fire road with Kevin. I dont feel to bad about dropping out, we were already 7 hours into the day! What an incredible view from the top of that rock. Well worth the expended energy and time. Cant wait to see a photo from up there.

Huge thanks to Dan for showing us the fun way up to the top and the air pressure tip.

I learned 3 important things:

1. Lower air pressure in the rear tire, 5-8psi or so makes a huge difference in traction in tight riding.

2. Thinking I would "get by/try" the desert gearing on my RMZ in that stuff was a HUGE mistake. My left arm (CLUTCH) was the main reason I took the easy way down. That and I ran out of water...

3. I need way more than 3 hours of sleep before riding trails like that!

I cant wait to get up there again either. I wont be happy until I can get up the hill that split us into 2 groups cleanly.

Great day!

Glad you guys had fun! I wish I could have made it up there this weekend, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. Which "big hill" are you talking about? The one going up Brightstar or another? Can't wait to see some pics! bp

Man that was a fun ride. Perfect day. I know some guys had problems but we will remember that ride for a long time.

To top off the weekend I rode the Ride for Kids dual sport. That was great also.

One of the best weekends I have had for a long time.

Later Ken :applause:

now that i look back on it that was a cool ride, at the time it was pretty aggravating but im glad i did it, i was stoked that i made it up that hill but i had a hell of a time getting there. gregg is right about desert gearing, it does not work on these trails at all and the tire pressure makes a huge difference. hopefully we can all get up there again, maybe hit some mellower trails like the ones we rode earlier in the day.

Glad you guys had fun! I wish I could have made it up there this weekend, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. Which "big hill" are you talking about? The one going up Brightstar or another? Can't wait to see some pics! bp

I have no idea what trail that hill was on, but it made the hill going in on Brightstar look like a golf cart path. :applause:

Man am I bummed I had to back out last minute. Sounds like a great ride. Glad everyone made it home safely.

Did anyone happen to mark the location of this monster hill on their GPS? If so I'd love the Lat/Lon.

Thanks

XR250, your PM box is full.

I have your sun glasses.

If the mountain " hill" has a name. We can look it up the old fashion way ,on a map.

I had a lot of fun. I kinda wish I had continued on to the top of the hill instead of turning back, but there is always next time.

The few pics I took are up now. http://www.xr250rdr.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

Gregg, I'll give you a call about picking up my sunglasses.

we've named that hill lack of navel intelligence do to the fact, that it was made by a navy intelligence guy that got lost. I'm dans partner in crime, that was having clutch trouble all day on the 426, glad everyone had a good time. its always good when neither bikes or people get hurt. believe it or not that hill was actually pretty small compared to the ones we had planned on. theres 2 off a trail called dark canyon evans & mitch that're, about 4 times as long as lack of navel, filled with switch backs,and beartrap is the sand hill from hell just gotta go slow with pretty much zero tire pressure. anyway i'll keep everyone advsd as to when we can arrange another tour. :excuseme: oh by the way my clutch trouble was caused by devastated clutch springs the plates are still way within spec. p.s. crazy people can have fun too. :bonk:

we've named that hill lack of navel intelligence do to the fact, that it was made by a navy intelligence guy that got lost. I'm dans partner in crime, that was having clutch trouble all day on the 426, glad everyone had a good time. its always good when neither bikes or people get hurt. believe it or not that hill was actually pretty small compared to the ones we had planned on. theres 2 off a trail called dark canyon evans & mitch that're, about 4 times as long as lack of navel, filled with switch backs,and beartrap is the sand hill from hell just gotta go slow with pretty much zero tire pressure. anyway i'll keep everyone advsd as to when we can arrange another tour. :excuseme: oh by the way my clutch trouble was caused by devastated clutch springs the plates are still way within spec. p.s. crazy people can have fun too. :bonk:

That was good crazy. That hill wouldnt have been too bad if it was clear all the way up. With only one line your only going to get as far as the guy in front of you before momentum is gone. Thats the way the naval guy got unlost? Yikes...

Dan must have mountain goat DNA in him. I cant wait to set the bike up a little different and go at it again. Im jonesing for a picture from the rock at the summit.

Good day all!

Had a great time on the ride Sat. Beautiful day. Thx again to dan for the guiding and to everyone else for the great additudes and help. The ride was great. a bit rocky but cool. Im not used to leaving camp at 10am and returning at 7pm...lol made for a long day. we usually split our days up into 2 rides, with a good lunch and a pack re-stock between. So my supplys were runnin low towards the end. Thx again to james (mr. cr500) for havin a splash of gas for me. I just put some pictures onto my computer. as soon as i figure out how to post them here i will. This winter I will post for a clearcreek trip and maybe some of you can come up and ride some good loam.

Sean

By Dan, they mean The Bombardier.

Billpee wanted to ride, 10years later not so much.

Edited by TheW0LF

Nice read. Dan needs to get on ThumperTalk and have a little fun

By Dan, they mean The Bombardier.

Billpee wanted to ride, 10years later not so much.

The piutes?  Right, not so much.  Been there, done that, moved on.  I was riding that stuff when you were born.  These days I can ride whatever day of the week i want.  And the trails are much more challenging.  I still wanna watch wolfie climb hills though.  Or better yet, I'd pay a nice benjamin to watch him on 5MOH or something fun like pritchett or behind the rocks in Moab.   Comedy is good for the soul.... :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  I see the CA vids and they're pretty amusing, but UT could bring a whole nuther comedy dimension....

Edited by Bill_P