sitting or standing?

I noticed in videos alot of the fast guys arnt really sitting, but not standing up either whenever they are on the gas (99% of the time) they kind of float just over the seat.

The rougher it is the higher they stand up until they can get back down.

Well the whole purpose of standing up is so you don't let the bike beat you up. If you sit through everything then your whole body is going to shake. Then on the contrary if you stand up and bend your knees a little bit you will just have your legs act as another shock, if you get what I mean. I think that beginners tend to sit a lot. But it seems like I am hardly sitting down.

I find myself standing alot more than I used to. I think its something that takes some getting used to, but after a while, you get comfortable enough to stand in alot of area's that you would have felt akward in previously. I think learing to ride in the standing posisition has improve my speed. The only condition I feel more comfortable sitting is tighter turns, or if I am trying to induce a powerslide. Everything else is better standing.

im not really sure what i do. i dont pay attention, i know through whoops i stand, corners i sit, jumps i stand, some straight i sit if there isnt a jump and its just leading to another berm. i think thats it, but when i stand i dont really stand, i keep the knee's bent most of the time, not to far off the seat and this way i always can react quick to small bumps and and stuff.

Well the whole purpose of standing up is so you don't let the bike beat you up. If you sit through everything then your whole body is going to shake. Then on the contrary if you stand up and bend your knees a little bit you will just have your legs act as another shock, if you get what I mean. I think that beginners tend to sit a lot. But it seems like I am hardly sitting down.

This is very good advice!! When training riders we go as far as taking the seat off the bike to break them from sitting down too much! After a few laps and a sore butt, the problem is solved!! And the more you stand up the faster you will become. :ride:

In my humble opinion standing is way better, because when you're in like little braking bumps or something, you will be shaken of your bike if you sit. When standing, you'll have your legs as additional suspension, and that helps with a lot of things.

So i think sitting is for lazy people j/k, the only time to sit is in corners

On an MX track, about the only time I sit down is off the start and in corners. Of course there can be exceptions when traction is a problem or if a certain section of track is very smooth, but in general, I stand up everywhere it's reasonable to do so.

Most of the time, people who do a lot of sitting aren't comfortable on their bike, either due to ergonomic problems or just not spending enough time riding their bike.

i stand most of the time now...when i bought my bike i sat alot...now i have one full year of racing under me and i feel more comfortable standing...but also i still feel awkard on my bike because i and 6'6...i do have a tall seat and lower foot pegs...anyone else have any suggestions