Sign in to follow this  

shifting in the air

I went to the track today there were these jumps pretty close together an I want to know could I up shift in the air to not over rev the bike for the next jump. :ride:

Don't even pull in the clutch.

Just bang the gears.

Then, you will be looking at the transmission wondering why everything is scared. use the cluch-your bike needs it. (Otherwise why is it on there?) :ride:

Then, you will be looking at the transmission wondering why everything is scared. use the cluch-your bike needs it. (Otherwise why is it on there?) :ride:

Believe it or not, motocross transmissions are built for powershifting.

They have constant mesh gears so even if you shift with the clutch you are still putting wear on the transmisson. I have heard this straight from a professional engine builder.

you dont need to use your clutch, just stick your foot under and "click".

Yes, up shifting in the air is a technique that is commonly used by advanced riders and it is good to Know why your doing it. Lets say there is a tight corner with a jump right out of it followed by a long straight or whoop section. You need a quick burst of speed to clear it followed by lots of momentum and speed. You hit the jump in second pinned, click third in the air (allways try to use the clutch) keep the throttle on when landing to drive you forward and carry max speed.

Who ever says that u can shift with out a clutch is the dumbest person on earth!!!!! they shouldnt even be riding a dirtbike!!! if u arnt supposed to then to the bikes gets messed up?!?!?!?! If theres a clutch on a bike that MEANS USE THE CLUTCH! unless ur an idiot like SOCALFMX and MARKOPOLO!!! ok!! USE THE CLUTCH IF U WANT UR BIKE TO LAST! and not being fixed every day!! END OF DISCUSION!

--------------------------------

2003 CRF 450-Big gun,applied,tapers,FAST WAY

Believe it or not, motocross transmissions are built for powershifting.

They have constant mesh gears so even if you shift with the clutch you are still putting wear on the transmisson. I have heard this straight from a professional engine builder.

Most any modern day motorcycle is constant mesh and can be "power shifted". I do it all the time on my street bike. Gain just a teensy bit more speed since you don't have to loose power with the clutch.

Who ever says that u can shift with out a clutch is the dumbest person on earth!!!!! they shouldnt even be riding a dirtbike!!! if u arnt supposed to then to the bikes gets messed up?!?!?!?! If theres a clutch on a bike that MEANS USE THE CLUTCH! unless ur an idiot like SOCALFMX and MARKOPOLO!!! ok!! USE THE CLUTCH IF U WANT UR BIKE TO LAST! and not being fixed every day!! END OF DISCUSION!

Ummm..... no need to call anyone names. Seriously man, if you learn how to clutchless shift, its very easy to do and will save you some clutch plates in the process with no harm to the transmission. The trick is to preload the shifter first, then very quickly and lightly let up on the gas, the shifter will then "snick" into the next gear smooth as a babies butt. Trust me, it will cause no harm. Now, down shifts are much harder and I still use the clutch.

Either way can do harm to a tranny IF improper technique is used. If proper technique is used, its just one more trick to put in your bag of goodies.

Hey man why do they put the clutch on a damn bike?!?!?! for looks?!?!?! NO TO SHIFT

and xerces what do u kno about bikes?!!? U RIDE GREEN!!

What do you know about bikes? You, my friend, are misinformed and I suggest that you keep your strong opinions to yourself until you are positive that you are fully educated on the matter.

--------------------------------

2003 CRF 450-Big gun,applied,tapers,FAST WAY

I dont know about the rest of you guys but i have the habbit of not using my cluth some times when shifting my YZ250F when i need that power that i will loose during pulling my cluth in. Comeing out a tight corner that just gives me enought time to change from second to 3rd and clearing the jump that would be the perfect place where i would not use my cluth. Shifting in the air! I do it all the time with out the cluth when it comes to a jump that you hit in thrid and has a big down hill into a long sand straight. I would shift in the air from 3rd to 5th and pin it. You will be amazed hom much time you save by doing that.

CRF-Rider next time you are on your local track go to the pro guys there and ask them how often they use the cluth. You would be surprised!

I asked a B class rider one day, and he said if you're not getting paid to ride, then shift with the clutch.

ok etinne yea they have to use a damn clutch cuz they GET THERE BIKE REBUILD EVERY RACE

It simply does not matter one bit to the bike:

Shift WITH the clutch while rolling off the throttle,

or

shift WITH the clutch *without* rolling off the throttle,

or

shift WITHOUT the clutch while rolling off the throttle,

or

shift WITHOUT the clutch *without* rolling off the throttle (granted, this one takes some chop on the course to allow the back wheel to hop a bit so the tranny unloads for a second).

What DOES MATTER is that you do *not* shift before the face of a ramp.

(since a missed shift will result in a helicopter ride).

In fact if the jump is really big its a good idea to purposely move your foot away from the shifter completely. Again, avoiding the helicopter ride.

What DOES MATTER is that if you accidentally catch neutral (between 1st and 2nd) that you gather your composure enough to pull in the clutch since if you engage 2nd while the motor is at redline you will surely blow your gears apart, say if you do this another 5 times or so. This is my primary reason I get nervous lending my bike out, even to good friends for a few laps. I hate the sound of that happening. And it happens a lot since usually the shifter is in the wrong position (peg/shifter relationship) for the guest rider.

Sic

ok etinne yea they have to use a damn clutch cuz they GET THERE BIKE REBUILD EVERY RACE

I have a friend that rides Pro and he hasn't used the clutch during shifting on any of his bikes since he has been racing for over the past 20 years. He's never had a transmission failure. It's just not necessary. The clutch is needed for starts and really, that's it. Some guys don't even use it when entering or exiting turns, they just downshift enough to keep the bike in the meat of the power. Hammering through whoops is much harder on a tranny than shifting without a clutch. The contant hammering on the gears takes it's toll, but clutchless shifting is not abusive to your bike.