shifting in the air

Who ever says that u can shift with out a clutch is the dumbest person on earth!!!!! they shouldnt even be riding a dirtbike!!! if u arnt supposed to then to the bikes gets messed up?!?!?!?! If theres a clutch on a bike that MEANS USE THE CLUTCH! unless ur an idiot like SOCALFMX and MARKOPOLO!!! ok!! USE THE CLUTCH IF U WANT UR BIKE TO LAST! and not being fixed every day!! END OF DISCUSION!

Easy there junior ... I have a 91 YZ250WR that I have owned for the past 13 years, and the only time I use the clutch is to start and stop. I have never had a tranny problem, EVER. And the bike is older than you !!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screech! Chirp! Skid! Hop, hop, hop!!! Ooooppss?

"Yeah, you can shift it without the clutch, but you?d better be good and know what you?re doing."

-Don Kuhlman

And he's talking about big bore streetbikes here. It is much easier and safer on a 450 or 250, and if you're in the dirt.

I never use the clutch to upshift and I've never had a problem. You can upshift in the air and you dont need the clutch. When the bike is in the air you can probably downshift with no clutch to since there is no load on the tranny. The only time I use the clutch is to start, stop, to downshift most time unless its real hairy I might not, and I'll feather it sometimes out of corners, and pop it on certain landings.

Ok, listen here, if you've ever ridden in an 18-wheeler, with anyone who has been driving for over a month, you will notice the clutch is not used, only for take-offs. That is because they utilize what is called a clutch-stop-plate. When you engage the clutch, the clutch-stop-plate hits against the push rod which pushes against the gears, this in turn creates added pressure that is unnecessary. This is also true with a dirtbike transmission. You can use the clutch, especially if you want to stay on the gas and shift, but the clutch is not necessary and will eventually wear faster that normal if you use it all the time as opposed to powershifting with out the clutch. You can do it even easier in the air with out a clutch because there is no load on the transmission. There. Case-closed.

Yeah TT knows whats up! Its like when ur cruising in ur car. Take my Audi S4 for example. IM driving along in say 4th gear pushing about 3100 RPM, traveling at a constant speed, I push the stick into neutral and let the RPM drop to say, about 2300ish. Holding the engine at a constant speed i then push the stick into 5th gear...

What happens?

The car shifts gears and im good to go, in 5th gear. :ride::banana::busted: The thing is,

? YOU CAN SHIFT ALMOST (EMPHASIS ON ALMOST) ANYTHING W/O THE CLUTCH, AS LONG AS YOU: time the engine

ITS ALL ABOUT TIMING THE ENGINE rpm TO MATCH YOUR GEAR AND VELOCITY (SPPED YOUR TRAVELING)!!! ?

i reccomend www.howsutffworks.com for thoes who requre more insight.

Now starting from a standstill, that is a different case.

let me know if i need to make a video... ?

OKay to sum this thread up, it is okay to shift in the air, as there is no load on the transmission. When you are on the ground, it is completely up to you. do you want to Redo your clutch sooner or later? Can you comprehend the term technique? If so please use the technique that was described earlier in the thread, and you should have no problems.

P.S. I am 14 as you can tell by the fact that i am up at 12, plus ive only been riding for a year, so I probably have no clue what i am talking about okay

this thread was abut shifting in the air why yall alwayz gotta argue bout everything this topic has been discussed many times! use the cluth if you want and dont use it if you want. I guess u will find out inthe long run if its bad!JEEZ!

Who ever says that u can shift with out a clutch is the dumbest person on earth!!!!! they shouldnt even be riding a dirtbike!!! if u arnt supposed to then to the bikes gets messed up?!?!?!?! If theres a clutch on a bike that MEANS USE THE CLUTCH! unless ur an idiot like SOCALFMX and MARKOPOLO!!! ok!! USE THE CLUTCH IF U WANT UR BIKE TO LAST! and not being fixed every day!! END OF DISCUSION!

--------------------------------

2003 CRF 450-Big gun,applied,tapers,FAST WAY

no sir you are the biggest dumbass on earth constant mesh means the gears are always together the clutch is just so you can start the bike without stalling, do you know an autoclutch is fully engaged when you change gears? why would rekluse design a clutch like this if it was going to damage the gearbox??

well i will say i shift with the clutch, i dont care what anyone says about shifting with a clutch. But when i do get out on a more supercross or areana cross style track i have the bike in a high gear and use the clutch to get more power, so a section alot of people do in 3 and shift in the air, i will do in forth and just use the clutch to get more power when needed.